1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

99 D stalled going down highway, wont start

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 03:50 AM
bodyinker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 D stalled going down highway, wont start

OK I have a conundrum with my D, I was traveling down a highway going 55 to 60 mph when the truck "stalled" for lack of a better term. I Coasted to the side of the road and tried to start it again. Nothing not even a click. So I thought ah I'll check the battery and make sure that is ok. It had some corrosion on it but not terrible, I used a terminal cleaner to clean batt, and replaced clamps on end of the wires. Still nothing. Towed it home ( and saved face by towing it with another Dodge). At the house we changed batt, tried to jump start again with different vehicles, jump box, battery charger, thought maybe starter, but that would not cause the D to stall. Now when try to start I get one click and maybe 2 inckes of movement on the fan. Lights and accs. are good and bright. Its at the the shop now but everyone is scratching their heads. I need help ASAP somebody has got to know! Thanks in advance!

Old 10-06-2006, 10:20 AM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 99 D stalled going down highway, wont start

Ignition system maybe?

Old 10-06-2006, 04:39 PM
bodyinker

I will give the ignition system a check thanks for the guess.

Old 10-07-2006, 12:36 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

take a ratchet & socket to the crank bolt and see if you can rotate the crank (eliminates seizure)... if it's spinning freely then it has to do with your starter... have someone try to crank the motor while your under the D with a hand on the starter... you should feel the starter gear kick out to the flex plate.

I once had a starter go bad that would cause it to drain the battery real quick, locked up the gear in such a way that it would jam and just start drawing all kinds of current.

Old 10-07-2006, 01:25 PM
bodyinker

you can feel the starter kick, however thats all it does. tried tapping with a hammer to set free no go. If the gear was stuck would it draw enough power to kill the batt while going down the road? Would it make any noise? Thanks for the advice! Oh tried to get a ratchet on crank bolt but fan and housing are in the way going to have to ake them out to get to it let you know how it goes. Thanks again

Old 10-07-2006, 02:15 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

if the starter shorted out (like my experience) yes it would. yank the starter and get it tested, then go from there.

Old 10-07-2006, 09:24 PM
bodyinker

I will try pulling the starter out and testing, I got a call from the garage today and they told me the engine needs to be replaced! I asked why was it seized and he said he didnt know it just needs a new engine! So I am bringing the truck back to my house I will let you know what I find out.

Old 10-08-2006, 04:25 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

ORIGINAL: steve00ram360

if the starter shorted out (like my experience) yes it would. yank the starter and get it tested, then go from there.
Defiantly have that starter tested.

Old 10-10-2006, 09:54 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

a new motor??? I doubt it. the magnum motor is pretty tough, even if your dont do anything to it EVER, it'll hold up pretty good. of course it'll look like crap on the inside but it'll still run.

get a socket on the crank bolt and turn it manually, clockwise. if it does not move, it could be siezed.

what motor do you have?

Old 10-21-2006, 01:40 AM
dodgebrothers
Veteran

I had the identical problem w/ my '99 5.9. It would occassionally "shut off" even at highway speed, but I could re-start it. Then, one time, it would not, until about 1/2 hour later. Turns out it was the computer...unfortunately. I'd have it "scoped" to see if that is also your issue.

As a side note, besides not being cheap, the Durango is not as "peppy" as it was before. The garage said that many "aftermarket" computers are now detuned from original specs to meet increasingly tougher emissions requirements. Now, I'm thinking about a chip of some sort to "wake" this thing back up.

Hope your issue is less serious

Quick Reply: 99 D stalled going down highway, wont start