1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Buying durango what to look out for?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 02:17 AM
bigjay187
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying durango what to look out for?

I would like to buy a durango 99-03 but have concerns about relibility of them. I have had a dakota for years and its been great.
What are known issues with the durango, what should I expect?
How are the motor's 4.7 and 5.9l? Good for a 100k 200k what is expected life?
Same question for trainsmission(auto)?
Cooling system, ac, other accessories? how are they?

Also would you consider this a good deal
99 SLT, 8 Cyl , Automatic Transmission , 4-Wheel Drive , Cloth Upholstery , Power Mirrors , Power Windows , Power Locks , Keyless Entry , Air Conditioning , CD Player , Tilt Steering , Cruise Control , Running Boards , Privacy Glass , Folding Rear Seat , Rear Window Wiper , ABS Brakes , Alloy Wheels 102Kmile for 6K?
Thanks for any help
Jay

Old 11-19-2006, 05:09 AM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Buying durango what to look out for?

Sounds good to me. If you are coming from a Dak that has the same body style then you know what to expect. I would go with the 5.9 or a 5.2 leave the 4.7 alone. It has a sludge problem. You may run into a tranny rebuild and when you do replace the radiator with it. My tranny was nothing but trouble until I found out about changing the radiator now it is smooth.

Old 11-19-2006, 03:30 PM
bigjay187

Why do you need to change the radiator? Does it have an internal cooler? That was going to be one of the first things I did to it put an exsternal cooler on it. Any recomended ones for it? FYI it's a 5.9L and my dakota is 93 so its different.

Old 11-19-2006, 05:29 PM
Mean Green
Champion

The radiator on mine and many others will become plugged up from crud from the torque converter and cause the tranny to overheat. I had my D back in the AAMCO 15 times after my rebuild under their warranty with multiple sensors going out because of the radiator not being changed. I found out about the Radiator needing changing on the way from NY to NV (not fun).
Heres a link
https://dodgeforum.com/m_600882/tm.htm

Old 11-20-2006, 12:12 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Curious, I wonder if they make a filter you can install before it reaches the radiator so the clog will never build up?

Old 11-22-2006, 01:06 AM
Mean Green
Champion

Sure do, Hydra actually posted one up on my original message. About a $15 filter and 15 minutes of work to install. Change it once a year.

Old 11-22-2006, 03:59 PM
durango360
Rookie

I purchased my Durango a few yrs ago ( 2000 4X4, 5.9L ) and only had two problems. I had to put a new thermostat in it at about 100K, ( but hey, who doesn't have to sooner or later...) and I JUST put a rebuilt tranny ( 46RE) in my Durango at 119K. I will be installing new shocks when i put new tires on it this week, but that goes for any vehicle. I have not had any other problems with my Durango with the exception of the stock speakers falling apart. I am considering buying another Durango real soon since my 1990 Ramcharger won't last forever....( mother nature and salt on the roads are killing her) I hope you have as much fun with your D as we do with ours.. add ons so far include Superchips max tuner, K&N cold air package, DVD system, flowmaster cat back....

Old 11-22-2006, 04:03 PM
durango360
Rookie

Fogot to mention when i changed my tranny out, the dealer that i bought it from showed me a bulletin from the boys at Dodge saying that the ball check valve in the tranny return line from the cooler needed to be changed out due to failure and plugging since even a good flush could not clean it all the way. I bought the replacement line for $38 from the dealer.

Quick Reply: Buying durango what to look out for?