engine sludge

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 10:03 PM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: engine sludge

ORIGINAL: Mean Green

I have heard it isn't too bad from Indy and It's not a huge problem from what I have seen on the forums but it is present.
Alright, then it's a pretty safe bet when getting one, just make sure the oil is changed regularly, or a situation where to just go ahead and run full-synthetic in it?

Old 12-12-2006, 11:49 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you get one hook up with indy durango he can tell you where to find a TSB on the sludge problem and fix it. Just take a good look and smell of the oil to make sure it doesn't smell like coolant and the problem is starting with it.

Old 02-01-2008, 12:55 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

TSB for sludge on the 4.7s

http://www.DodgeForum.com/m_164273/mpage_2/key_/tm.htm

IndyD

Old 02-08-2008, 01:04 AM
C.A.P
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea i have hurd of that stuff working but i know from doing it myself if you want to clean your engine the right way, use this stuff called K&W engine oil clean. That is a miracle!! You add it to your oil run your engine for about 30 min at idle dont drive it!! and then drain your oil and put new oil in it and then an additive and you will even notice a good change in your gas milage and your performance. I use that on all the engines i work on or rebuild. And i even work for dodge and the techs i work with are starting to love this stuff as much as do. Try it out and let me know how you like it.

Old 02-08-2008, 02:16 PM
Kensai
Champion

Also, do the research on your engine before you make a judgement call to flush it out. If you engine is fairly new and does not have too many miles on it, a good flushing can do wonders. But if your engine has alot of miles on it,it may do more harm. Engine can start leaking oil or using oil from worn out components that now has loose tolerances after the flushing. Engines with high or very high mileage should avoid flushing unless you are planning on a engine rebuild or you know the engine has been extremely well kept and trouble free.

Old 02-09-2008, 07:27 PM
IndyDurango
Champion

Kensai,

Agreed 100%

IndyDurango

Old 07-27-2009, 01:30 AM
worldclasssniper
Default Bringing back the deaD!!!

I am in the middle of a rebuild on my motor, the infamous sludge got to me. The Durango has been sitting for about 3-4 months now and I finally got the time. I have never rebuilt a motor or done anything close to it. I have some minor mech skills, and have a good understanding of the parts and their responsibilities.

My main ? here is, since I am doing the rebuild, and replacing all the gaskets etc... I should basically switch to synthetics at that point for my oil right?

Old 07-27-2009, 02:24 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

^ Yep! ^

Fully Synthetic that is. No blends or cheap brands!

I LOVE Mobil 1 10W-30 with OEM Mopar filters. You can get both at Wal-mart for cheap. Just bought two 5qt containers for $22 bucks a piece and the Mopar filter for $5 bucks. When it's that price I get a few.

PS<----- Good luck on the motor and take your time. Also check into this thread: Longevity & Power Of Your Rig!

Old 07-27-2009, 11:41 PM
worldclasssniper

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
^ Yep! ^

Fully Synthetic that is. No blends or cheap brands!

I LOVE Mobil 1 10W-30 with OEM Mopar filters. You can get both at Wal-mart for cheap. Just bought two 5qt containers for $22 bucks a piece and the Mopar filter for $5 bucks. When it's that price I get a few.

PS<----- Good luck on the motor and take your time. Also check into this thread: Longevity & Power Of Your Rig!
I will be taking my time on this, but I do need to get the truck back on the road soon so I am not gonna go too slow on it haha. Ive got a buddy who is a hardcore mechanic and he's been helping me quite a bit. I still need to decide if I want to try and find a junked car and pull the motor and just do a straight swap.

We shall see soon!!!

Quick Reply: engine sludge