1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Roaring during acceleration, please help

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 02:21 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Roaring during acceleration, please help

I think it's all the time but I'm not 100% I am in need of a new fan clutch soon so I'll be sure after I get some money in the bank and can afford it. The stocker is almost toast but still works I just haven't been able to go wheeling lately because of it...

Old 01-12-2007, 08:29 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Roaring during acceleration, please help

I got mine changed and definitely the replacement clutch is louder than the OEM. My OEM did not lock up anymore and my engine started to overheat. Luckily I had a electric back up fan but it did not provide enough cooling for my 5.9 in Texas heat during the summer season. The replacement clutch will always roar from a cold/warm start and as long as 5 minutes go by, I guess when the grease starts to warm up alot on the clutch, it will disengage. I talked to my mechanic and this $100 clutch I bought is a severe heavy duty. If I knew it was going to be this loud, I should have opted for the cheapo clutch I think they had one for like $60 bucks and problaby not heavy duty, but then again I cannot verify if the el cheapo clutch may be just as loud as this expensive one.

Best advice like m.Green said, convert to a Electric fan. You pay much more but you get better engine response and possibly save some gas too. Go for the Viper fan upgrade as it is a Mopar product.

Quick Reply: Roaring during acceleration, please help