1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Need Help fast!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 12:43 PM
ccusum
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Need Help fast!!!!

ORIGINAL: hydrashocker

Here is the thing. You had the shop do your work but unless you took it to the dealership then you have aftermarket parts. Wires, cap, rotor, and plugs need to be stock (OEM). You can always go to MSD ignition components or better. Dodge has a problem running other than stock (OEM) ignition components. You want to pull you plugs and make sure you have regular Champion plugs or Champion Truck Plugs. Then look at the wires cap and rotor. Bosch components will notwork! Most shops will put in cheap replacement crap and charge you for the good stuff. I would first look here before I would do anything!
Well,I think you hit the nail right on the head.Threw a CEL and took it to the shop that did the engine. They said it was a misfire in cylinder #1. Wanted to charge me 150.00 for plugs and wires. Told him I would do it myself. 60.00 later, car runs like a dream. now I am getting decent gas milage.

BTW - it did have Bosch plugs in it, all of them were gapped at .050 not the reccomended .040.

Old 02-06-2007, 02:33 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If they were plat's you aren't supposed to gap them. I think that is probably one of the problems with them...

Old 02-11-2007, 12:43 PM
JJ67RS
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to stoke the fire of debate a little here on platinum plugs.... Platinum plugs are supposed to be gapped or at least checked for proper gap, if they are the single electrode type. The multi electrode types are set from the factory, Unless you notice that one is way noticeably out of wack out of the package, or you dropped one while fumbling with them, they are fine. And as far as the Bosche platinums go, I have been running the Bosche platinum +4's for about a year now with no problems.... I repeat no problems.... The truck runs beautifully on them....so If anyone is getting some kind of skip or anything, I would think to also check your fuel injectors.....or for a bad coil... I have 4.7L no cap, rotor, or wires... just coils and plugs. Good luck, Happy tinkering.... Jay

Old 02-12-2007, 07:37 AM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I still say they're crap. My D ran fine before them. After install it was ok but one night after work I had to keep my foot in the gas to keep it going till it warmed up. I picked up Champions the next day and it ran better than ever (the previous owner put some different brand plug in even though it only had 30k miles on it when I bought it). I tried the bosch +3's or w/e they are. They are garbage in the D I guess you got lucky.

Old 02-12-2007, 02:26 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I went from stock champions to the truck champions and now to the iridium champion plugs. So far the iridium championplugs runs best. These iridium plugs are very hard to fowl. My wife's 92 maxima was burning way too rich from a stuck open injector and the iridium plugs still fired without problems. Before those iridium plugs were installed on the nissan, I had to change out that plug where it had the bad injector every 10k or so because the plug eventually got fowled up from the very rich mixture.

My D starts super easy and idles very smoothly with the iridium plugs.

Quick Reply: Need Help fast!!!!