1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Need Help fast!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 10:47 AM
ccusum
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help fast!!!!

As this is starting to **** me off, how can Itell ifI have a bad spark plug or two without pulling them? Recently, I had the engine replace as the original grenaded itself. About two -threeweeks after I got the truck back, I started feeling this studder while driving uphill at normal speed. RPM's in the 1500 -1800 range. Faster then that, there is no studder. It really only happens in that range of whatI just said, but you can really feel it while driving it uphill. Flat surface, you barley feel it but it is still there, but once you get up to speed and the RPM's are close to 2K, its gone. (I do a lot of 50+ MPH driving)

Could it be a bad spark plug or could it be something else? When the engine was replaced, they also did a cap and rotor. Not sure if they did wiresand plugs, actually I doubt they did the wires and plugs.

Thanks.

Old 01-24-2007, 11:53 AM
89Daytona
Veteran
Default RE: Need Help fast!!!!

If it was a bad plug or wire the ECU should throw a misfire code.

Does the problem occur when the engine is still cold or when itsup to operating tempor both?

Old 01-24-2007, 12:34 PM
ccusum

Both if that helps at all. I think I did see the CEL come on more like a flash.

Old 01-24-2007, 01:03 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Here is the thing. You had the shop do your work but unless you took it to the dealership then you have aftermarket parts. Wires, cap, rotor, and plugs need to be stock (OEM). You can always go to MSD ignition components or better. Dodge has a problem running other than stock (OEM) ignition components. You want to pull you plugs and make sure you have regular Champion plugs or Champion Truck Plugs. Then look at the wires cap and rotor. Bosch components will notwork! Most shops will put in cheap replacement crap and charge you for the good stuff. I would first look here before I would do anything!

Old 01-24-2007, 02:27 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

Do you have a 5 speed or automatic? Going up hills at a very low RPM will make a shudder. This is simply because the motor doesn't have enough torque available at such a low RPM to be able to effeciently move your truck.

Old 01-24-2007, 02:34 PM
ccusum

ORIGINAL: hydrashocker

Here is the thing. You had the shop do your work but unless you took it to the dealership then you have aftermarket parts. Wires, cap, rotor, and plugs need to be stock (OEM). You can always go to MSD ignition components or better. Dodge has a problem running other than stock (OEM) ignition components. You want to pull you plugs and make sure you have regular Champion plugs or Champion Truck Plugs. Then look at the wires cap and rotor. Bosch components will notwork! Most shops will put in cheap replacement crap and charge you for the good stuff. I would first look here before I would do anything!
I am going to guess that I will be doing some trial and error repairs on this. thanks for the tips. Man, I hate Dodge.... glad my Camaro is not this bad.

ORIGINAL: virused

Do you have a 5 speed or automatic? Going up hills at a very low RPM will make a shudder. This is simply because the motor doesn't have enough torque available at such a low RPM to be able to effeciently move your truck.

Its an Automatic, I did not have this problem before the engine crapped out on itself.

Old 01-24-2007, 03:10 PM
MAGIC84
All Star

There is no way to tell visually about a 4 spd or 5 spd auto. The secret is the ordering code I do not have it in my immediate vicinity, but stand by for follow up post with the equipment code for the 5 speed auto.

Old 01-24-2007, 03:43 PM
ccusum

There's a five speed Auto for the Durango? I had no idea.

Old 01-24-2007, 04:29 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: ccusum

There's a five speed Auto for the Durango? I had no idea.
Sorry, I forgot I was in the Darango section for a second.

Old 01-25-2007, 12:14 AM
MAGIC84
All Star

The Five speed auto, is widely unknown because there is no indication other than the ordering code, or the dealer sticker if available. I had my dealer print out a "BUILD SHEET" Ask your dealer for the same, the should print it free of charge, stick it in the owners manual binder, or title paperwork. This is a basic sheet with the sales code, all equipment, color/trim,engine,VIN# all sorts of stuff. The only way to know about the 5A is sales code, the 5A is basically a 4 speed auto with one additional overdrive, it is becoming more common. For Example Ford Fusion offers a 6 speed auto, and Jeep is a 5A on the Grand Cherokee.. some premium Mercedes evengo up to 7 speed auto. I run about 70 at just around 2k RPM, maybe a little under. For comparison my Jeep Cherokee with the 4A was running about 2500 RPM @65MPH, of course I am going from 6 CYL to V8 but I would say it is about the same. Remember ths ABS warning light is the same for rear and 4wheel ABS so the build sheet is the controlling document. Hope this helps, good luck, I went to my service advisor for the build sheet.

Now for some common build sheet codes...

ENGINE: EVA- NEXT GENERATION 4.7L MAGNUM V8
TRANS: DQG- TRANSMISSION-5-SPEED-AUTOMATIC-5-45RFE
BODY MODEL: 5H74 DURANGO SLT 4WD 115.9
TRIM:EJ* SEATS-LEATHER-HIGH BACK BUCKET
TRIM COLOR -L5- TAUPE.

SOME COMMON EQUIPMENT CODES.

AJB: SECURITY CONVENIENCE CROUP
BRR: BRAKES-4 WHEEL DISC, REAR ANTI LOCK
CFM:2ND ROW 40/20/40 FOLD/TUMBLE SEAT.
CFP:SEAT 3RD ROW.
CGP: AIR BAGS NEXT GENERATION
DHA: TORQUE CONVERTER LOCK UP