1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

98D 5.2 Tranny Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 09:13 PM
Hunzi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98D 5.2 Tranny Problem

Hi there.

I'm having a problem with my 98D 5.2L. The transmission slips(?) or whatever you call it, doesn't shift smoothly between 2nd & 3rd gear. The engine will rev, not shift, and then shift if you let up on the gas a little. It's worse when the engine is cold, and we've had a couple of weeks of very cold weather (single digits and teens) here in Nebraska. No other problems, and it's less noticeable once it warms up.

I was really worried that this meant a new transmission, but it looks like from what I've read here, the solution might be simpler than that. I hope at least.

Here are the facts:

98D 5.2L that just turned over 100K.

I've owned it since Oct 2000, when I bought it with 29K on it.

I've been pretty good about keeping up with the regular maintenance with oil and engine stuff, but I think I've fallen a little short on caring for the transmission. I've had the fluids and filter changed once or twice: I think last time was about 1yr-18 months ago. (OK I've probably really screwed up on this!) I'll do a second post on questions I have on improving my maintenance schedules and what I should do now that my D has hit 100K.

I made sure they changed it that they didn't do the power flush thing, just drop the pan and change fluids and filter.

I also had the rear speed sensor replaced once, about 3 years ago (because I was getting a weird odometer reading problem).

Assuming there aren't large nasty bits of shrapnel in the fluid, I'm planning to ask them to change the fluid in the tranny and change the filter, and replace the gaskets. I'll have them change out the fluid in the transfer case too.

Should I also ask them to adjust the bands?

Should I leave it at that, then see how it runs?

If the problem persists, then replace the TPV, speed sensor and that other sensor (is it input or output?)? Then adjust the TV cable? Is there a better order of replacement?

I've tried to become at least semi-knowledgeable about my Durango, because I absolutely adore it, but obviously, I'm not a get my fingers oily kinda girl. I'm taking it into be looked at tomorrow at a tranny place. I just want to be sure I'm not going to get ripped off. No offense to you gentlemen out there, but I have noticed that many auto repair places seem to think that a "nice rack" walking in the door means they have free pass to my wallet.

Help!
Always ;-)
Hunzi

Old 02-06-2007, 08:05 AM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 98D 5.2 Tranny Problem

The first thing you should do and I suggest you do it yourself is check your tranny fluid, If it's been under 30k miles since your last change that may not be the issue. All you have to do is get the truck up to operating temperature (and this includes the tranny check it after driving it) and stop and put it in all of the gears for a couple seconds then put it in neutral. Put the E-brake on and pop the hood. Your tranny dipstick is right on the passenger side up by the firewall. Pull it and wipe it off dip it again and see if you are overfilled, fine, or low.Also theoil should be a pruple color, get some on your fingers and rub them together to see if it's gritty, smell it to see if it smells burnt.I'm guessing you just need a little fluid.

On a second note when you go for fluid you need the top quality stuff, ATF 4. Anything else can give you problems which you may also want to check into with the shop that did your tranny fluid change they might have put the wrong oil in. [:'(]

Old 02-08-2007, 07:13 PM
Hunzi

Thanks Mean Green!

Well here's what I did:

First I took it to a transmission place to get checked over. They let it sit until it was cold (easy to do in this weather!), then took it out for a test drive with a test computer hooked up to it. The guy came back and said it was slipping out of 3rd gear, and that it looked like I needed both a new tranny and a new battery because the computer was showing that the battery was only delivering about 10 volts, and sinceit's an electronic transmission that having proper voltage wasessential. Price for all this wonderfulness? $3k. Ouch. They also mentioned I had a small leak on the power steering hose and on my LF axil seal, but that they didn't deal with those problems.

Since I knew the battery was only 25 months old, I decided to take it back to my mechanic and have it checked out. Tranny guy stammered a bit and offered to take the battery off the estimate. I said I'd get back to them and left.

Since my D has just hit 100k miles, and the tranny shop was telling me I needed a new transmission, I figured I couldn't do any harm if I swung into my local auto shop and picked up a couple of bottles of SeaFoam, bought 2 for the gas tank and engine, and 1 of the transmission stuff (cost $20 for 3 bottles plus a funnel). Then I took it over to my mechanic and had them check the battery out. Turned out I had a bad connector on the negative side, cost $12.

So I had the mechanic fix the battery connection, pour Seafoam into all the various orifices of the Durango (1 bottle in the gas tank, some down the crankcase, some down the PVC valve, the tranny stuff in the transmission), then had him change the oil, give it a tune up, check out those leaks on the axil and PS, and after I drove it around for a day, I went back and had himdrop the pan,change the fluid,gasket, and filter on the transmission and clean off that magnet in there.

So far the results are no more shifting problems. ;-) It's moving very smoothly through the gears.

Always ;-)
Hunzi
not just another pretty face (or rack)

Old 02-08-2007, 07:34 PM
ganzhimself
Professional

Here's a stupid (probably) question... How do you add trans fluid? Just pour it down the shaft with the trans dipstick?It looks like I have a very slowleakat the trans cooler inlet or outletand my fluid level is still in the SAFE area, but it's more toward the add line.

Old 02-09-2007, 09:23 AM
Mean Green
Champion

Glad to see you didn't let that shop take you for a ride.That would have been too much to pay for a rebuild anyway. [&:]

Old 02-09-2007, 07:32 PM
Hunzi

Thanks Mean Green!

Here's a question for you. How much should a new (to me) transmission run? The one I was quoted from Certified Transmissions was a remanufactured (total with labor around $2800 with 5 yr warranty), which they said was "like new. They made a big deal of remanufactured vs used vs rebuilt vs new.

I want to be prepared because I know this transmission won't last forever.

If all continues to go well, should I keep getting thistranny serviced every 30K? What about the transfer cases and differentials? (I did those at 85K)

Always ;-)
Hunzi
no grease under her nails but also no air in her head

Old 02-09-2007, 11:08 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You are doing the right thing. Guy's in shops only want 2 things from a pretty girl.
$ and sex. [sm=drlove.gif]

That is a fact of life and sad to say. The thing is if it runs good leave it. I paid $2993 for my custom built trans and it's one built bad ***. Trans usually run approximately $1800 for crap & $3500 for awesome ones. Problem is that you need a really good auto trans mechanic to work on an auto trans. They are very very hard to find and it also cost me $4600 to find this info out! TRUST ME!

When it comes to trans work, I've been around the block. As for the transfer case fluid and diff's have them changed soon and go every 30K miles after that. Trans should be once a year (fluid and filter) and bands adjusted. (Get that done) If you need a new trans then get an upgraded torque converter (larger than OEM) and if the shop put in the wrong fluid it will run like that.

Where are you? I'll try to find you a good mechanic.

Old 02-10-2007, 03:04 PM
Mean Green
Champion

^ What he said. Hydra has given me great advice on my tranny he is the go to guy in that dept. Have you check out thefastman.com built trannies Hydra. I saw that they were only $1,500 when I was digging around the site the other day.

Old 02-15-2007, 03:22 AM
DurangoDanger

How much do yall think it would be for a rebuilt manual tranny? I was thinking an older 3 or 4 speed, maybe a 5 speed, but that'd be pushing it IMO, from an older truck or SUV. I don't want to deal out thousands for a new one, so I was looking up the used-and-rebuilt alley.

Old 02-15-2007, 09:15 AM
Mean Green
Champion

I've heard you can get nv454's for Rams for about $500 wholesale. If you have a buddy with a shop go that route since it's new. It would probably end up costing $2500-3000 after making everything work (clutch, Dak console or cut a hole in the tray)but I think it would be well worth it because then you'd have an extremeley solid Durango not to mention a good conversation piece. [8D]I wish I had the resources to do this whne my tranny went out both times. [:@]

Quick Reply: 98D 5.2 Tranny Problem