98 Durango heat issue.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 12:17 AM
MAGIC84
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 98 Durango heat issue.

Chitown,

Sorry!! that the thermostat didnt work, also sorry to hear about your back problems. I am sure with a 98 a new thermostat would'nt be a bad idea. Remember the date, and keep the records. I just found another section in the Haynes Manual relating to the thermostat, that shouldput your mind at ease, even though you haven't got the full problem solved.

"If the engine seems to be taking a long time to warm up (based on heater output or temperature gauge operation), the thermostat is probably stuck open. Replace the thermostat with a new one.

For whatever it is worth, sounds like at the very minimum your thermostat went out, even though thereappears to bemore.

I know this a long thread, and with all that said, sounds like step two of the pocess is in motion, Reverse Flush, That is the last step before the water pump and major mechanical work involved. Try a reverse flush kit available at most auto parts stores, this is a splice fitting on the heater hose, allows fresh water to be cycled all the way through the cooling system including the water jackets, heater core, block and radiator. Follow directions closely, good luck.

Here is one more thing that may be related and this is the next step.

"It is possible for a water pump to be bad, even if it doesnt howl or leak water. Sometime the fins on the back of the impeller can corrode away until the pump is no longer effective. The only way to check for this is to remove the pump for examination."

The last part of that sentence is the most important. Since a repair shop/dealer is going to have it out anyway for inspection, or your good friend if he is capable (not insulting their mechanical ability, just equipment, tools, warm garage area etc..) I would highly recommend replacing it anyway, since even if the impeller blades are good, the pump has to go back in. It might as well give you peace of mind to get a new pump in there, save some work later. The point I am trying to make is at this stage you are committed andmight as well get a new pump, and at that point with a new pump, you might as well get a reverse flush. Since you already have the thermostat that should cover all bases. Chris is right about a heater core blockage causing undo pressure on the water pump, and left untreated might cause failure of both heater core and water pump at the most in-opportune time, (-20f 4:30 Friday Afteroon on the Dan Ryan, I havedriventhrough Chicago before) I would try a local trusted repair facility over the dealer, due to cost, but then again nothing like peace of mind of genuine Mopar Factoryparts. This paragraph is not meant to imply one way or the other about changing the water pump, but should give you some background if it does become necessary.

The next step after that if heater core is too blocked to be flushed, is heater core removal/replacement, which is another post, and far beyond me at this stage of the game.

Again Good Luck!!!

Old 02-08-2007, 01:55 AM
Chitown Kracker

Hello all!

I am going to take the REDROCKET in for service. I am not able to anything more for it in my condition. I asked my buddies, and they are all busy at this time (need to get new buddies.....lol).

If my back was better I could try to domore and save a little money.

Thank you all again,

Chitown

Old 02-08-2007, 02:46 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah if the radiator is plugged up you may just have to buy a new Radiator there is a check valve in them that will not allow a reverse flush on them. I encountered this on my move from NY to NV and since I didn't have the time to replace it myself it cost me an extra $600 on my move. [&o]

Old 02-19-2007, 02:30 PM
Chitown Kracker

Just an update...........

Seeing that I went in for back surgery, I did not have the time needed to work on the Durango. Also the dealers were 5 days behind. Seeing that it does not over heat, and the temp stays normal.......I am just going to drive it for now.

Now, the temp here(40 miles south)of Chicago has been stupid cold! Well yesterday it was in the mid 20's and the heat was a lot warmer....today is going to be 36 and sunny! weeeeeee. The wife will be out with the Durango all day. I'll see what she has to say when she get home.

Oh yea......my brother checked the radiator fluid the othe day and said it had a little green colored dirt in the neck? I think it will need a good flushing.

Once again, this sucks being down and not being able to do anything!

Thank you all!

chitown[sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Quick Reply: 98 Durango heat issue.