1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

4.7 w/ 3.92??

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 11:58 AM
deerang
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 4.7 w/ 3.92??

The 2nd gen prolly has Traction Control devices that stop you from having fun like that. If I get my foot in it on a snowy or icy road, i see all kinds of wheel spin.Do the "Rally racers flick" going around corners, that's a lot of fun, a whole different feeling form just RWD. Took some getting used to, but with lots of practice , comes as a second nature right now.

Old 02-09-2007, 03:08 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I'd be pulling any TCS out of that if possible. I had fun scaring my wife. If we slide a little bit shes ready to scream and I pulled up to the sidewalk sideways. [8D]

Old 02-10-2007, 01:09 AM
deerang
All Star

Yea i know exactly what you mean. I love pulling the e-brake in the VW on an unsuspecting girl. Putting a real worried look on my face only adds to the fun haha. Even better is the fact theres no Holy **** bar in there

Would TC have a fuse or relay that could just be pulled to disable it?? I don't have to worry about it seeing as I drive 2 vehicles without it VW doesnt even have ABS!!

Old 02-10-2007, 12:41 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Deerang and Mean Green:
I am sure it is possible to disable the TCS/ABS on our Durangos, but with all of the computers I bet it would activate some kind of light be it the ABS or such.

The two vehicles I mentioned from work are fairly bare bones, so neither one has the TCS. The reason I was not really trying to push things that day on the ice is that the lot in question is a very public place, and the vehicle being a company car was WELL marked.
As stated, had I tried to break things loose I could tell it would have been no problem.

My goal was to try to simulate a typical driving scenario where the driver is navigating glare ice, and see just how the AWD would perform.
I have been in the same lot in a RWD sedan, and you could not move without spinning and sliding.

FYI, I also rean an interesting post on another forum yesterday stating that the 2nd gen D's have a reverse cut front ring and pinion gear set.
That was the first I had heard of it, and the poor guy was attempting to swap in 4.56 gears front and back, but did not uncover the reverse gear issue until he got to the front diff.
A very expensive lesson as at that time, no gear set was available other than the factory 3.55 and 3.92, so he had to put the front back together and then reintsall the factory rear set as well.

As far as I am concerned for what I do my factory 3.55's are just fine.

Don

Old 02-10-2007, 02:57 PM
Mean Green
Champion

I see what you're saying Don. The wifes work parking lot was tucked away real nice and she was one of the only 2 that went in that day (Sun. and she was only there to take care of the animals) When I picked her up that afternoon her coworker was driving out. He left before us in a 3 series beamer and lrts just say I caught up with him real fast. The road out of the place was really windy and he was fishtailing (on accident) around every turn and spun it around on one of the last turns. I felt kinda bad for the guy he had a long drive ahead of him in that thing seeing as how it took him an hour to get to and from work in perfect weather.

Old 05-07-2007, 06:57 PM
RixMag

The 3.92 gears were optional, and independent of the tow package. I searched high and low to get the combo, and once I found it, I knew I'd made the right choice.

This thing works like a beast. I routinely tow a 27' travel trailer/camper (about 5,500 lbs), and, in fact, towed it from San Diego, CA to Rhode Island (a 3,404 miles run).

I also tow a boat as well (25' Four Winns cruiser), and the total weight is about 7,500 lbs (trailer, fuel, equipment, boat, h2o, etc). It's funny to watch folks taking bets at the launch ramp. I actually had one fella tell me point blank "Ah've been fishin' hea 'bout 30 years, n Ah've nevah seen ana-one pull a boat out that size. 'Specially noht widt a truck that small."

You should have seen him when I did exactly that, and with nary a bit of wheel slip.

Please pardon my ramblings. I'm Rick, from Rhode Island (moved here 1.5 years ago). My DCX resume includes:
-1995 Dodge Ram 2500 (1999-2005)
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee (1999-2005)
-2002 Dodge Durango (see sig), (2003-Present)
-2006 Dodge Magnum (sig), (2006-Present)

Old 05-07-2007, 10:00 PM
Mean Green
Champion

Welcome to the forum!

Old 05-08-2007, 07:11 PM
RixMag

Thanks! Happy to be here

Quick Reply: 4.7 w/ 3.92??