1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

4.7 w/ 3.92??

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 12:38 PM
deerang
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.7 w/ 3.92??

Is it possible to find a 4.7L with 3.92 gears? The 5.2L equipped with the tow package had 3.92 gears (I think), but would that be similar for the 4.7L?

Old 02-08-2007, 12:56 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: 4.7 w/ 3.92??

I don't think that was an option in the 4.7L

Old 02-08-2007, 01:14 PM
deerang
All Star

I didn't think so, only because I've yet to come across one

Old 02-08-2007, 02:19 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Deerang:
Yes it is possible (I did not say easy) to find a Durango 4.7L with the 3.92 gear. For some reason, DC does not include the shorter gearset as part of their factory "tow package" My 01w 3.55 gearshas the tow package which includes:
7 wire harness, 4 pin adapter, Class IV platform hitch. HD alternator and battery, HD engine and PS cooling, transmission oil cooler, and heated power mirrors.

The 3.92 gear was a stand alone option unless you get the RT, then it is part of that package. We have two 05 4.7 Durangos at work, one with the 3.55 and one with the 3.92 gears but both have the tow package.

When I was searching for my Durango in 2003, I found that 4 wheel ABS, the AWD transfer case, and the 3.92 gear apparently were not popular options when the rig was odered by a dealer to sit on their lot. As such, it could be a challenge to find one equipped with any or all of them.

Interestingly, the AWD option seemed to be paired up with the 5.9 motor more often than not.

Don

Old 02-08-2007, 04:09 PM
deerang
All Star

Wow, thanks a lot Don. I thought the tow package automatically added the 3.92 gears.

I guess the AWD transfer case would hurt the already poor gas mileage of the D, which is kind of discouraging, as would the shorter gears. However I dont see why 4 wheel ABS was not a popular option.

Old 02-08-2007, 06:35 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker

Deerang:
I will let you know how the full time T case affects mileageas I am in the process of swapping my part time case for the factory full time case. From what I have read so far, I do not expect much diffference in economy because with the part time system all of the 4x4 parts are still there and rotating.
Those who have the AWD have not reported any major mpg penalty thus far.

Don

Old 02-08-2007, 06:48 PM
deerang
All Star

I never of it that way. But yea, im looking forward to hearin how it changes. Why you swapping ur t-case?

Old 02-08-2007, 09:21 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker

Deerang:
After having driven one of the 2nd gen D's wth its AWD T case, I decided to look into the mod.
I felt since it was offered as a factory option, it should not be too big a deal.
So far, I have $550 in a 34k NV244 T case from a parts recycler in MI, and I hope to have it installed in the next week or so.

From my younger days, I enjoyed owning quite a few RWD cars, but in later years learned the benefits of FWD in inclement weather when one must get to work regardless. My 01 D is the first 4x4 I have owned, and although it is years ahead of my older RWD cars the idea of having the 4x4 system I paid for online 24/7 interests me.
I spent some time with an 05 AWD in an iced covered parking lot at work last winter, and was really impressed with the traction of the system. I found I really had to work to spin a tire, and I know that the same lot with RWD could have been quite a nightmare with very little throttle. Mind you, I was not being stupid nor pushing any limits.

From what I can tell, it should be a direct bolt in swap which is the kind thatwe alllike..

Regarding the ABS issue, the rear wheel ABS that my D has is purely useless. It simply unlocks the rear wheels and does not seem to pulse the pedal like the 4 wheel systems do. I understand that our Durangos are blessed with thisPOS because the 1st Gen D is based on the Dakota truck platform which also used it. It would have been a $500 option for the dealer to add when he/she ordered it, but toupgrae to 4 wheelABS my local 5 star quoted $2500-3000. So, I will be doing without that mod.

Don

Old 02-08-2007, 11:53 PM
deerang
All Star

I'm gonna read the thread about differences between the 4wdHigh and AWD again. I wish you best of luck in swapping ur t-case, hopefuly it is all just plug and play.

I've only been stuck in my VW once. Pulled over to the side of a countryroad that had been recently plowed, to find out the plow had plowed over the ditch and filled it with snow. I ended up about 1 foot deep in snow with thefront cross member high centered. That lil front wheel drive car just pulls through the snow, and is very predictable. Plus I have really good snow tires on there that just claw through anything.

I forgot that the stealership loves to screw you at any chance they get, didnt even click in my head that the POS ABS was also a rather pricey option.

Old 02-09-2007, 09:16 AM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's hard to believe that you had to work to spin the tires in an icy lot. Last year (my first time with the D in the snow) I took my wife to work and she has a huge lot. I was spinning all over the place having a blast in 4hi. I've been waiting for some snow here in Reno for a while now to try out these new tires in something more than a couple inches...

Quick Reply: 4.7 w/ 3.92??