1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Synthetic Oil Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 11:52 PM
ganzhimself
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Synthetic Oil Question

I have a question about synthetic oil... Mainly, has anyone here used eirther Royal Purple or AMSOIL synthetic oil? I use Mobile 1 Truck & SUV in my 98 and it seems to be a great synthetic Is there a benifit to using these more expensive synthetics with a WIX filter? The price difference for the oil isn't too much, so I'd gladly switch if it's going to prolong engine life. Currently I just use a regular Fram filter and I change it out at 5k, and change the oil at 10k.

Old 02-27-2007, 11:58 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member
Default RE: Synthetic Oil Question

I've used both Amsoil and Mobil-1. No problems with either one. I prefer Mobil-1 since I can buy a jug at Wal Mart for $22-23 anytime. Amsoil ran me several dollars more and I was a "preferred customer".

Dusty

Old 02-28-2007, 01:58 PM
Mike954
Rookie

Royal Purple is quite possibly the best oil for any car but it is a lot harder to come by than other oils, especially if you do not do your own oil changes. I do not change my own oil b/c it is a lot more conveinent to pay some one 30 dollars to do it than spend the 30 minutes just to get my truck off the ground and level just to get to the damn drain plug.

Saying this I use Castrol full synthetic 5-50 which covers all of the heat ranges. I have not found a shop that carries royal purple yet!

Old 02-28-2007, 04:24 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use castrol syntec 10w30 and I love it

Old 02-28-2007, 04:49 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use quaker state 10w30 and I'm happy with it you may want to get away from the Fram oil filter though. THey are not too good for running more than 3k miles. I started using mobil 1 filters just in case I can't get to my oil change as soon as I want. I change my oil every 3k miles still though just because I love my D that much.

Quick Reply: Synthetic Oil Question