Throw Out Bearing

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 02:33 AM
protivakid
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throw Out Bearing

Alright,
So when my clutch is not engaged the car makes this rattling noise that almost sounds like when you first turn on an air conditioner (that air moving through pipes sound) however when the clutch is in the noise instantly stops. Me and my father believe it is the throw-out bearing. My question is how easy is this to replace. My dad has a good amount of car knowledge, more so on older cars though, and I know an above average amount about newer cars. What all is involved with replacting this on a neon or should I just bring it to the mechanic? Also where would be the best place to get a new one for a good price? Thanks in advance.
~Christopher

Old 04-30-2007, 10:16 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Throw Out Bearing

i buy the throw out bearings from the dealership....thats just me though

if you remove the trans, then the tob stays intact.....leave the clutch on the car....
then just pull the old tbo and the fork off and then slide the new tob on the fork and reinstall the fork

i cant think of how to put it[&:]
hardest part is removing the trans

Old 04-30-2007, 11:36 AM
das2123
Legend

My TOB rattles as well.

Old 04-30-2007, 02:24 PM
protivakid
Veteran

Any idea how much a new TOB cost? I'll talk to my dad to see if he is up for this. Btw they don't tell you how to do this in the Haynes manual do they? I have one kicking around somewhere. Also doing this myself, how many hours of work am I looking at?

Old 04-30-2007, 02:52 PM
prplhaze
Professional

My tob also makes noise.I found that If I kick the clutch in and out a few times, I can sometimes get the noise to stop.I also recommend getting the tob from dealer, more expensive, but two other tob I had in both made noise.I would also suggest replacing the tob fork arm.The arm on mine is wore down, where the tabs for the tob bearing go.I think this makes the tob rattle and move around more than it should in there.

I'd say your looking at 2-4 hours of labor, depending on tools, and mechanical know how.The haynes manual shows how to remove a manual transmission.Follow that and you will get to your throwout bearing.Someone else on a forum one time told me to lubricate the clutch cable to stop tob noise, but it did'nt work for me.Good Luck

Old 04-30-2007, 02:53 PM
das2123
Legend

$35-$40 for a new TOB from the dealer.

Old 04-30-2007, 04:06 PM
spudsterier
Legend

my tob rattles a little on my work car....but most of the ungodly noise is the pilot bearing being shot....sounds just like the tob only louder....goes away after about 10 minuites....it makes the car sound more like crap then it alredy is.....but i cant get mad at the car, its not the cars fault the moron that put the tranny in never put any tranny fluid in it[&:]
maybe thats why 5th gear doesnt really work[:@]

Old 04-30-2007, 04:13 PM
protivakid
Veteran

Alright thanks guys, I think i'll try to tackle this myself to save some money. I read your responses and what do you think about replacing the tob fork arm? Think that could be my problem? Also would it be possible the noise is from the pilot bearing not the throw out bearing? Thouhg the noise does go away when I push the clutch in and only comes when the clutch is not engaged so I would say its the throw-out bearing.

Old 04-30-2007, 04:20 PM
spudsterier
Legend

your problem would most likely be the tob......i doubt you have the same problem as me, my noise doenst go away when the clutch is engaged and also makes noise when driving

the tob rattle is a common problem with the neons

ive never had a problem with the fork though...only the bearing

Old 05-02-2007, 12:44 AM
prplhaze
Professional

I know I would replace my tob arm If I had the chance.It's the only thing I can think that would make it continually make the noise.....other than not buying tob from dealer. I've had my tob done once by a shop, and a different one by me after the shop screwed up the clutch install.Both bearings made the noise after install.I did not go with a tob from the dealer though.So it's either you have to get the bearing from a dealer, or you should replace the arm.On my neon the arm/fork, whatever you call it, barely held the tob in place.It had all kinds of slop, and I thought to myself, this is not right.My friend convinced me to install it anyway.Oh and like I said, I can get the noise to go away by kicking the clutch in and out a few times fast...I dont think my tob is held in place very well.Thats my 2 cents..

Quick Reply: Throw Out Bearing