1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 08:00 PM
pssssst
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP!!!!

okay... i have searched a lot on this topic and im starting to understand things more clearly about why a car turns over but wont start.... but i need to know what could i have possibly gotten wet that would cause the car to shut itself off then restert and stall twice, then wont start at all????? this all started a couple weeks ago when i had power steering fluid burning off my exhaust manifold because it spilled a little bit while i was adding it in so i figured id clean the motor a little bit.... while i was spraying it down the car shut off and then restarted twice but immediately died and now wont do anything but crank over.... somebody with any knowledge please tell me every thing to trouble shoot because im in need of this car to be running! anybodys input would be greatly appreciated! thanks everyone

Old 08-25-2007, 08:36 PM
bone33
Record Breaker
Default RE: SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP!!!!

did you use theengine degreaser, then water hose method?

i did that once! then i my computer popped codes and i had to get a diagnostic test. i replaced the part, and it was fixed. i cant remember what part it was, but it had something to do with fuel delivery. i never used engine degreaser again.

Old 08-25-2007, 11:40 PM
pssssst
Veteran

dude thats exactly what i did... you gotta find out what part that was!!!! i need this car running asap lol

Old 08-26-2007, 08:05 AM
bone33
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: pssssst

dude thats exactly what i did... you gotta find out what part that was!!!! i need this car running asap lol
i'd love to help you, but i just dont know. it was years ago.

Old 08-26-2007, 11:33 AM
pssssst
Veteran

anybody else have any ideas???

Old 08-26-2007, 12:42 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

The first thing you need to do is check if you are getting spark, fuel, and air. Pull one of the plugs and hold it on the valve cover while someone cranks it. If you are getting spark, remove a fuel injector and have someone turn it over and see if you are getting fuel. Lastly, what did you do to seal off the air intake?

Old 08-27-2007, 01:41 AM
pssssst
Veteran

my intake is the stock pipe with a cone filter added to the end (i know its not a true cai but im fabbin one right now) but anyways, i didnt spray water near the intake so i highly doubt water got into it... thanks for the input though

Old 08-27-2007, 12:40 PM
teetdogs

Uhhhm did you spray the engine with water while it was running? I dont know but that seems like a bad idea to me, I know when I degrease my engine I always cover the intake, the fuse box, and anything else that looks like getting wet may not be the best for it. I am super paranoid about it since in my first car i sprayed the engine and it burnt one of my valves and sounded like a damn lawnmower for the rest of its life.

Old 08-27-2007, 12:42 PM
pssssst
Veteran

i have sprayed many cars in the past down while they run and it was perfectly fine... i was always told it didnt matter but apparently it does lol

Old 08-27-2007, 12:50 PM
teetdogs

Have you check to make sure no water got into the intake? also one thing I would try is to reset the cars computer, I have heard that if you take the positive battery terminal off and leave it off for a bit that should reset the computer.the car may idle a bit rough at first (if that fixed it of course) since it has to relearn stuff from the engine, I would say that any advice I give should be taken with a grain of salt, as I am new to working on my own car but hey itshouldn'thurt anything to reset it.