1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

egr block off

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 01:42 AM
dirt_trac_racer_80jr
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default egr block off

if you block off the egr valve wat does it really do ...does it really give you more power??? do you suggest doin it??

Old 09-20-2007, 05:51 AM
Slashwannabe
Default RE: egr block off

Some people say its a myth but more say its true.

Well I shall begin by saying that the EGR recirculates HOT EXHUAST GAS into the intake manifold which raises the temperature of the intake charge, Now in common think tanks about how to Gain more Horse Power the concept of Cooler Air is always best is often brought up and this concept is a fact cooler air is better for performance.

I would have to say that there is a good chance you will gain some power by removing the EGR, pretty much the only down side is you will fail your emissions test (I live in Wisconsin which doesnt make that a requirment!! Thank God!). I've heard of a Civic getting a 5hp gainafter taking the EGR out so I'd assume it would be similar gains for the Neon as well.

My EGR code came up yesterday so I will be making a block off.

Old 09-20-2007, 02:55 PM
tattoojack
Veteran

are you crazy? wisconsin does too have emissions. just certain counties don't enforce it. kenosha for one does. pretty much all counties on the lake do.

Old 09-20-2007, 05:14 PM
Slashwannabe

ORIGINAL: tattoojack

are you crazy? wisconsin does too have emissions. just certain counties don't enforce it. kenosha for one does. pretty much all counties on the lake do.
I'm up Nort! dats probably why I didn't know dat.....lol acutally I'm dead center of Wisconsin and up here they don't give a **** which is nice... : )

Old 09-20-2007, 05:39 PM
dirt_trac_racer_80jr
Professional

blocking it off will give you a richer fuel mixture? atleast that wat i heard...true?

Old 09-20-2007, 11:16 PM
neonracer1010
All Star

blocking it off does nothing except save you money in the long run, it will improve your gas milage as well if your old valve is bad.

Old 09-21-2007, 12:04 AM
Slashwannabe

ORIGINAL: neonracer1010

blocking it off does nothing except save you money in the long run, it will improve your gas milage as well if your old valve is bad.
Cars run better on cool air and the EGR HEATS UP THE AIR...COUNTER PRODUCTIVE. Yes you will gain a little power not much but you will gain.

Old 09-21-2007, 09:04 AM
tattoojack
Veteran

so, the general consensus is if you remove the egr and install a real CAI you "should" see a difference in power?

Old 09-21-2007, 09:29 AM
Slashwannabe

Honestly I think you'll see a bigger gain from removing the EGR than using a Cold Air Intake by itself, using both together should be a good combination. Removing the EGR will drop the intake temp more than the CAI will just becuase no more extremlyHOT exhaust gas can heat the intake charge up while a real CAI will be able to work without being counter productive. Those hot exhaust gases will overpower any little cool air you gain from an cold airintake.

When the EGR is allowing hot exhaust to heat the intake up and you stick a CAI on its alot like turning the heater on in your car and blowing that heat from the heater core into your cab. Removing the EGR and THEN adding a CAI will be the most effective way to do business with a Neon engine, this way you'll have a REAL Cold Air Intake .

Adding a CAI while keeping the EGR is kind of pointless seeing its fighting a constant up hill battle with itself.

Old 09-21-2007, 09:36 AM
bone33
Record Breaker

EGR. exhaust gas recirculation.

wait till winter comes and you cant get your car started.

Quick Reply: egr block off