1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

dohc and sohc ratings?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 04:35 AM
estneon
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: dohc and sohc ratings?

im with you all the wayslash sohc is uderrated and is a good engine thats why i did not get a dohc head for it i love it the way it is and i can take a stock dohc to a mild modded one....besides no one likes it when a 'pos' sohc beats there ***the sohc has more potential you don't have as much weight and the differnce can be beatin if the other driver can't drive as good as you

Old 09-23-2007, 06:52 AM
Slashwannabe

ORIGINAL: estneon

im with you all the wayslash sohc is uderrated and is a good engine thats why i did not get a dohc head for it i love it the way it is and i can take a stock dohc to a mild modded one....besides no one likes it when a 'pos' sohc beats there ***the sohc has more potential you don't have as much weight and the differnce can be beatin if the other driver can't drive as good as you
Yep : )

People with DOHC enginesdon't know what hit them when a SOHC owns them they absoluty flip and go into denial.

I raced a Clerk from Auto Zone who had a DOHC Neon with an Automatic, he told me before we raced that the SOHC was less than 132hpand the DOHC was more like 160hp and blah blah blah running his mouth like a dumb *** and so I told him the SOHC was underrated to make DOHC seem powerfull and he said whatever and thenI suggested we race andmy SOHC wasted the pissout of him and this was after he told me the SOHC was a ****ty engine and thatI should upgrade. I told him after the race do you think the SOHC is underrated now? He then tried to tell me that my 130,000 miles stock engine wascam'd up andand I'm like whatever. Soon I will have a turbo manifoldmade and I will hunt down V-8 cars.

If the DOHC really had an 18hp advantage over the SOHC how come the SOHC automatic always beats the DOHC automatic? and that quarter mile results for the SOHC manual are not official at 16.3 they wernt even tested by motor trend unlike the R/T so who even can verify that the SOHC runs 16.3?.

Chassis Dynos have shown DOHC Manual equiped Neons running 119 Hp while SOHC automatics are getting 112hp to the wheels, infact there is even a youtube video of the results which I will find.

I think whenthe people with DOHC engines see the truth about SOHC engines theywill lose 5 inches of their manhood.

Old 09-23-2007, 09:46 AM
bone33
Record Breaker

Slash.

im not arguing with you. in fact you are right. the sohc is a great motor. its fast, dependable and bulletproof.

do you race? have you seen a rules package? i guess not, because all your porting and polishing and balancing and tuning and all that other bull**** can't be done unless you are a CHEATER.

so, get yourself a higherrpm DOHC or LOSE.

Old 09-23-2007, 10:12 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Slashwannabe

likeI said you look up the history of that engine it will say why its "LISTED" at 132hp,
and i suppose then that it also says the dohc IS ABOLUTELY MOST DEFFINATELY RATED EXACTLY AS 150HP??????

Old 09-23-2007, 11:31 AM
Slashwannabe

ORIGINAL: bone33

Slash.

im not arguing with you. in fact you are right. the sohc is a great motor. its fast, dependable and bulletproof.

do you race? have you seen a rules package? i guess not, because all your porting and polishing and balancing and tuning and all that other bull**** can't be done unless you are a CHEATER.

so, get yourself a higherrpm DOHC or LOSE.
Are they going to take your motor apart to find out if its balenced and has 9.6-1 compression? I doubt it. Or even if they take your intake off and you cleaned the spurs out of it they would never know. Theres just no way they are going to be able to tell if its full racebalenced or not, or Even if you have a better cam.

Oh and Spud, the DOHC was the "optional Engine"(you knew that allready ) so they didn't have to sugar coat its ratings like they did the SOHC engines, chassis Dyno's prove that : )

Old 09-23-2007, 12:47 PM
protivakid
Veteran

ORIGINAL: Slashwannabe

If the DOHC really had an 18hp advantage over the SOHC how come the SOHC automatic always beats the DOHC automatic?
I remember das or someone saying it's because the DOHC has a higher powerband and w/ the auto tranny it takes a while to / never fully reaches its full powerband. Thats why a Mtx DOHC beats a Mtx SOHC, but the neon's auto tranny is complete crap anyway if you want your car to be quick.

Old 09-23-2007, 12:59 PM
spudsterier
Legend

ORIGINAL: protivakid
the neon's auto tranny is complete crap anyway if you want your car to be quick.
even though its the same tranny that came in the early 90's turbo cars right?????
with the right mods, the auto tranny is better the the mtx tranny.....mostly with a turbo and becasue of the much taller gears

Old 09-23-2007, 02:20 PM
boxerjl2
Record Breaker

i dont really car if the dohc is faster all i know is my car is pretty fast and i love it!!
even if it is underated.

Old 09-23-2007, 03:43 PM
neoncrazy101
Champion

the DOHC autos are the slowest because the auto doesn't let the DOHC reach its full potential. the SOHC and auto is the best option for the Auto because of the powerband difference. now then that being said. the 31ST is a very very very good tranny. cept its a 3-speed which is fine for the car, cept for gas mileage (compared to the MTX). i like my SOHC's, but if someone were to give me a DOHC, i would sooo swap it in and then do a build on my SOHC. but frankly. cant we all just get along, the DOHC only has 1 more cam than we do lol.

btw, i also think i've heard some people say that the DOHC likes to blow out bottom ends when racing. whereas the SOHC likes to blow out top ends while racing. just heard i dont know for sure or out not though.

Old 09-23-2007, 07:11 PM
dirt_track238

i race a sohc neon at a dirttrack. the motor is completly stock. Theheadhas been resurfaced. its a manual, i have a mopar pcm and thats it. i still have just about the fastest car at the track. my uncle has the faster one ( whch is actually a saturn) hard to believe?? so im trying to figure out if i should run a sohc again or switch to a dohc for next year

Quick Reply: dohc and sohc ratings?