Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 11:01 PM
protivakid
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: dohc and sohc ratings?

ORIGINAL: spudsterier

ORIGINAL: protivakid
the neon's auto tranny is complete crap anyway if you want your car to be quick.
even though its the same tranny that came in the early 90's turbo cars right?????
with the right mods, the auto tranny is better the the mtx tranny.....mostly with a turbo and becasue of the much taller gears
I'll agree though if I was gonna do it ur way i'd still prbly go w/ a manual tranny, prob not the stock 1st gen neon one tho.

Old 09-24-2007, 02:54 AM
Slashwannabe

You DOHC guys can keep thinking you have a Superior design, butwhenus SOHC Guyssmoke you with our SOHC cars we'll get the last laugh.

Alot of good 133ft of torque at 6,000 Rpm when it takes forever to get there with the Neon's gearing.

The 1995 SOHC Engine hands down takes out any DOHC...Its got a better cam on top of a more efficient head design than the DOHC. My friends friend has a 95 Neon with a 5 speed and he has taken out 5 speed DOHC cars with his stock SOHC, the thing is Green and pissed off and it calls itself a Neon

Old 09-24-2007, 03:19 AM
12 volt
Record Breaker

all this comes from someone that sayshe runs a 12.9 in 1/4 mile

Chassis Dynos have shown DOHC
i would like to know where you get this info

Old 09-24-2007, 04:54 AM
Slashwannabe

ORIGINAL: 12 volt

all this comes from someone that sayshe runs a 12.9 in 1/4 mile

Chassis Dynos have shown DOHC
i would like to know where you get this info
Google it.

Old 09-24-2007, 05:48 AM
estneon
Record Breaker

he all ready said his 1/4 mile was fake a long time ago...das got him on that....you should probablychange it slash....dohc's are not as good as you think and it's sad you don't know that(because you are only dissing a few hp and agaist another neon none the less)

Old 09-24-2007, 08:35 AM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Slashwannabe

You DOHC guys can keep thinking you have a Superior design, butwhenus SOHC Guyssmoke you with our SOHC cars we'll get the last laugh.

Alot of good 133ft of torque at 6,000 Rpm when it takes forever to get there with the Neon's gearing.

The 1995 SOHC Engine hands down takes out any DOHC...Its got a better cam on top of a more efficient head design than the DOHC. My friends friend has a 95 Neon with a 5 speed and he has taken out 5 speed DOHC cars with his stock SOHC, the thing is Green and pissed off and it calls itself a Neon
I will agree that the SOHC is under rated and the DOHC is over rated, but the SOHC NEVER dyno'd at 144 HP like you say it did. From the ONLY dyno chart I have seen comparing a stock SOHC vs a stock DOHC the DOHC made out 3-5 more HP. But it is still quicker at the track where it counts! The SOHC head is not a better design than the DOHC, anyone who thinks this is crazy!

As for your friend, good for him, because he is racing people who can't race.

Old 09-24-2007, 08:48 AM
Slashwannabe

ORIGINAL: das2123

As for your friend, good for him, because he is racing people who can't race.
That seems to always be the excuse when DOHC Enginesget owned, and thats what that is, an Excuse. Excuses don't win races, Fast cars do.

If the DOHC was so fast in stock formit shouldn't matter who drives it, it should kill a SOHC or at least put up a fight.

The fastest DOHC and SOHC drag carsin the world are less than a half second apart, And the DOHC is using Nitrous. Doesn't scream much how the DOHC is better because I'd expect times more than 2 seconds apart. The main thing I don't like is how the DOHC looked at as the only way to go for power when the SOHC is capable of comparable gains.

But as much as I love my little SOHC design, a realHemi head 4 cylinderwould kill it. I'm talking a 2 valve configuration with a real round dome combustion chamber.....lol

Old 09-24-2007, 10:59 AM
das2123
Legend

Go to a track where skill is involved and you will see where the DOHC excels. Racing on the street is stupid, careless and doesn't prove anything to me. I never said the SOHC isn't a great motor, but you even said yourself...
The fastest DOHC and SOHC drag carsin the world are less than a half second apart,
So you admit the DOHC is proven to be faster and quicker which is what people are wanting. I don't care if it's quicker by 0.01 of a second...it's STILL QUICKER...BOTTOM LINE!

And this isn't a very good arguement...
If the DOHC was so fast in stock formit shouldn't matter who drives it
Of course it matters, who drives it when it is closely matched by the SOHC engine. Again, I never said it was extremely faster or quicker, but it is slightly faster and quicker.

Old 09-24-2007, 11:22 AM
spudsterier
Legend

i stick by my dohc's....i dont think they are the greatest, but when it comes to cams its nice that you have more choices and can swap out only 1 or the other....

the dohc head has a better flow design sepecially since the intake and exhaust ports are almost twice the size...

i can always feel the difference between a sohc and dohc....especially at about 5500rpms...the dohc can keep puling very strong.....
when i drive the red r/t it pulls really good through all rpm ranges, but as soon as i hit about 5700-5800rpms you really start going back in your seat

Old 09-24-2007, 06:11 PM
Slashwannabe

ORIGINAL: das2123

Go to a track where skill is involved and you will see where the DOHC excels. Racing on the street is stupid, careless and doesn't prove anything to me. I never said the SOHC isn't a great motor, but you even said yourself...
The fastest DOHC and SOHC drag carsin the world are less than a half second apart,
So you admit the DOHC is proven to be faster and quicker which is what people are wanting. I don't care if it's quicker by 0.01 of a second...it's STILL QUICKER...BOTTOM LINE!

And this isn't a very good arguement...
If the DOHC was so fast in stock formit shouldn't matter who drives it
Of course it matters, who drives it when it is closely matched by the SOHC engine. Again, I never said it was extremely faster or quicker, but it is slightly faster and quicker.
I was just trying to force somebody into saying this : ) Alot of people just flat out say the SOHC Engine sucks and cannot hold its own.

The DOHC is a very good designed engine, I'd take it over any of the big 3's DOHC 4 CylinderEngines (prior to SRT-4) but I think what gets me about it is when you have people telling others with SOHC Engines that they are slow and uselessfor no reason when they are so close in power to each other. Thats why I laugh at people who swap a DOHC head on their SOHC Block thinking they are going to gain instant pavment crushing power, it makes absolutly no sense at all unless they don't have a good SOHC. A good swap with stock for stock parts would be throwing the SOHC head on a DOHC block for higher compression(yes I know they are the same block but DOHC has higher piston domes.).

The half second between the SOHC and DOHC drag cars is hardly the limit for each engines power ability, Money determines how fast you go, and I'm sure its likely for each Engine to accell more than the 9 second quarters they dogiven the right namount of money. Thats why I tend to keep my arguments geared toward stock for stock(even though I brought up the drag cars..lol) I thinkthat a SOHC with a few mods that do not alter internals at all will help it smooth the difference out between a DOHC in a Race. I think that is a fair argument and afair thing to say to a person who wants to build up his Neon and wants an honest opinion on how it stacks up against a DOHC car and his budget.

I think most of all if I had a DOHC in my car I'd be just ashappy as if I had a SOHC, I think there really is no down side to having either the DOHC or SOHC, if your Neon came with either engine embrace it because both can produce comparable power. Thats all I want to say on the DOHC vs SOHC argument : )

Quick Reply: dohc and sohc ratings?