1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

dohc and sohc ratings?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 12:00 AM
dirt_track238
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dohc and sohc ratings?

does anyone have the sohc and dohc specs? Is the dohc actually better than the sohc?

Old 09-22-2007, 02:12 AM
12 volt
Record Breaker
Default RE: dohc and sohc ratings?

Q: What are the engine specs for the neon?
A: The SOHC is rated at 132HP @ 6000 RPM and 129 ft/lbs of torque @ 5000 RPM
The DOHC is rated at 150HP @ 6500 RPM and 133 ft/lbs of torque @ 5600 RPM

1stGen FAQs top of home page

Old 09-22-2007, 04:07 AM
Slashwannabe

Many people are in denial but the SOHC is only6 Hp less than a DOHC and this difference can be made up with a header and TB spacer

The SOHC was underrated from the factory to make the DOHC look like a worth while upgrade. You can ask anybody who has dynoed both engines and they will say the same thing. Also if you look at the factory ratings of Torque the DOHC has 133 while the SOHC has 131, still don't beleive the SOHC is underrated just a tad? Torqueadvertismentwas never used to sell economy cars back in the 90's it was always horse power and gas mileage. Even with the fake stats of the SOHC engine it still makes more overall power in useable powerbands than the DOHC

You always get people on this board who wave DOHC flags to say I'll race my 5 speed against your SOHC Automatic (so that their DOHC actually has a 20hp advantage) but nobody ever wants to race a DOHC Automatic against a SOHC Automatic.

There is a page on allpars website about the fact the SOHC is underrated due to the DOHC coming out.

Don't get me wrong a DOHC is a very good engine but it gets too much credit for being the solebread winner : )

Old 09-22-2007, 08:21 AM
bone33
Record Breaker

if you are looking to turn more RPM's then the DOHC is the way to go.
The racers that run the big 1/2 mile tracks around here use the DOHC just for the higher revs.

Old 09-22-2007, 07:17 PM
Slashwannabe

ORIGINAL: bone33

The racers that run the big 1/2 mile tracks around here use the DOHC just for the higher revs.
The DOHC and the SOHC use the same block heads and crank, I'd be a little worried about pushing them up to 6500 Rpm all the time unless they were race balanced, In stock form the DOHC can only push 500 Rpm more anyways so its not a huge advantage.

Old 09-22-2007, 07:31 PM
tattoojack
Veteran

i love my sohc. everyone i know with a dohc is constantly under the hood. to me its just more moving parts to break and that much more weight. and 6500 is alot of rotational mass.

Old 09-22-2007, 09:29 PM
bone33
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Slashwannabe

The DOHC and the SOHC use the same block heads and crank, I'd be a little worried about pushing them up to 6500 Rpm all the time unless they were race balanced, In stock form the DOHC can only push 500 Rpm more anyways so its not a huge advantage.
it may not seem to be, but at the tracks i attend, you must have a manual tranny and you must not shift out of 3rd gear once the green flag drops, unless you spin or a caution comes out. so that said, having another 500 RPM's can mean and does mean the difference between being competetive or not.

Old 09-23-2007, 01:08 AM
Slashwannabe

ORIGINAL: Slashwannabe

it may not seem to be, but at the tracks i attend, you must have a manual tranny and you must not shift out of 3rd gear once the green flag drops, unless you spin or a caution comes out. so that said, having another 500 RPM's can mean and does mean the difference between being competetive or not.
If you are racing Circle track you should balence your engine and besides that the SOHC's rev limiter starts at 6700RPM with a full race balenced crank you could gain 500 RPM's worth of power or more with a SOHC not to mention if you ported your intake you can easily gain power.

The SOHC engine has more mid range torque than the DOHC in which if you come out of a corner you can get up to speed quicker than the DOHC does, its overall more powerfull keeping your speed through the corner is where you gain advantage in Circle track the SOHC has plenty of power. If you balenced the crank and pistons in yourSOHC you'd easily wipe a DOHC engine in the high Rpm's or if you just swapped the pcm you'd make more power at high RPM's than you normally would. A Throttle Body spacer will deflect any advantage the DOHC gives you in the high Range.

The DOHC is good in its own right but its a matter of where the engines make their power rather than which one ismore powerfull, and the SOHC is overall more powerfull through the powerband than the DOHC is.

Old 09-23-2007, 02:32 AM
12 volt
Record Breaker

The SOHC is rated at 132HP @ 6000 RPM and 129 ft/lbs of torque @ 5000 RPM

they dont call them facts for nothing.

face it DOHC makes more power and has more potential

Old 09-23-2007, 04:04 AM
Slashwannabe

ORIGINAL: 12 volt

The SOHC is rated at 132HP @ 6000 RPM and 129 ft/lbs of torque @ 5000 RPM

they dont call them facts for nothing.

face it DOHC makes more power and has more potential
What don't you comprehend about the SOHC Engine being underrated? likeI said you look up the history of that engine it will say why its "LISTED" at 132hp, it actually made closer to 144 hp but since every model needs an 2ndengine option and since the DOHC project got done just as the SOHC came out they lowered the SOHC power in stat books only to make the DOHC engine a viable option. factory stats mean ****, the 426 Hemi was listed at 425 Hp too but in dyno's that could handle the power it ran 600hp STOCK, You can go ahead and take those stock numbersfor the gosipel. Its listed deep within Allpars website go look it up.

Look at chassis dyno's of both and you'll see theres less than 5-7hp difference and toque is exactly the same.

I've beatn' so many dohc cars with my sohc car that driver error isn't an excuseanymore.

You get a custom grind cam for your SOHC and you'll have the same advantages as the DOHC. the DOHC is a overrated piece of ****, its makes almost exactly the same power as a SOHC.

Quick Reply: dohc and sohc ratings?