1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

i have no idea y its over heatin

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 02:07 PM
dirt_trac_racer_80jr
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i have no idea y its over heatin

My neon has been over hatin all season and ive finally had enough.... does anyone have any idea y it could be over heating...its only mine ...my cousin has a cavalier ...it run about 190...220 at the hottest.....last night the neon ran about 275 and im 100% sure that we blew another head gasket ...already changed it this season ....i cracked the head this season also ....we bought a bigger radiator outta a 96 and ran dual fans (yes theyre blowing the right way)...i thot that maybe it could be the fuel we run ...but we run it in the cavalier also ..and its never heated up....its sunoco 115....Could that be wat it is?......if i dont figure out wat it is soon im goin to be forced to sell it and get a cavalier ....and that would suck cuz im a dodge guy and i like my neon ..

Old 09-23-2007, 02:25 PM
tattoojack
Veteran
Default RE: i have no idea y its over heatin

you don't mean 115 octane do you? that dont seem right. anyway. what about your coolant temp sensor? or a bad heater core? thermostat? what else have you tried?

Old 09-23-2007, 08:39 PM
dirt_track238

the 115 octane doesnt burn up your sensors and stuff? i only run 92 octane

Old 09-23-2007, 08:47 PM
bone33
Record Breaker

you shouldnt run the high octane stuff. pump gas is fine.

Old 09-24-2007, 02:05 AM
dirt_trac_racer_80jr
Professional

ya ...im talkin bout 115 octane ...its just like turbo blue...how would my sensor make it overheat ..would that mess with my fuel mixture....im running it on a manual gauge...i was also wondering if anyone would know wat i need to get to be able to run alcohol...it burns alot cooler..and its cheaper..its only a thought that we had ..not sure if its even possible...i know for v8s you have to by bigger jets and all that good stuff ..would bigger injectors work ....???

Old 09-24-2007, 05:34 AM
racerx55
Record Breaker

if you dont have a brand new radiator, it will get hot. mine only lasted one season before i had to replace it again.
like i said before mix race fuel and pump gas 50/50 and youll make better power and runa little cooler.
to burn alcohol first you need about 15:1 compression ratio that requires some serious internal parts and they dont even make pistons over 12.5 yet..., double the injector size , fuel line size, pump,... not gonna happen in a stock class. alcohol is worse if its lean, itll burn a hole in a piston before you realize it. leaded fuel just coats the o2 sensor and makes it sluggish to react. it insulates it just like carbon does, it justkills it a littlefaster.
alcohol may be cheaper but ask any latemodel guy that runs it, you burn up twice as much as running gas.

Old 09-24-2007, 01:52 PM
12 volt
Record Breaker

leaded fuel just coats the o2 sensor and makes it sluggish to react
it can also faul spark plugsand form klinkers which causes preignition

Quick Reply: i have no idea y its over heatin