1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

where can i find a cheeper turbo kit?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 06:30 PM
justinsanders
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default where can i find a cheeper turbo kit?

the hahn turbo kit on modern is just too expensive for me and the srt turboseems too hard to do because of all the modifying involved. im kind of wanting a turbo kit that just bolts on. not so much modifying and not so hard to do, and time consuming. maybe its not so hard to put on the srt turbo but it seems like it is after reading the how to at the top. let me know if it isnt as hard as i think. thanks

Old 09-24-2007, 06:57 PM
estneon
Record Breaker
Default RE: where can i find a cheeper turbo kit?

im am going to die.....you idiots are just to f-ing stupid perfomance is not cheap[:@]....the srt-4 turbo is a peace of cake just do that and you will be just as happy as the hahn....you have a dohc it will basicly bolt right up

Old 09-24-2007, 07:15 PM
justinsanders
Captain

listen im just learning you had to do the same thing you werent just born knowin all the **** that u kno. excuse me if i ask questions to better understand things. ive been researching this for months and still dont quite have all the answers. if your gonna have that kinda attitude then i dont wanna take your advice. all that does is stirr **** up. now lets get back to the topic dont participate if your gonna be a dick.

ok...
i dont mind spending $1000 on getting the srt turbo and all the components installed. i guess i was just misled by reading the how to. if its so easy that it just bolts on then i have no problem with spending a thousand. i was just worried about modifying things.

Old 09-24-2007, 08:30 PM
AJay
Veteran

ORIGINAL: justinsanders

listen im just learning you had to do the same thing you werent just born knowin all the **** that u kno. excuse me if i ask questions to better understand things. ive been researching this for months and still dont quite have all the answers. if your gonna have that kinda attitude then i dont wanna take your advice. all that does is stirr **** up. now lets get back to the topic dont participate if your gonna be a dick.

haha...lol...dats funny...i aint tha only one...

Old 09-24-2007, 10:14 PM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker

I really dont know if this is allowed however I found this post on the other forum. And It will give all of you thinking about turboing your neon something to think about before jumping in...this post was origonally made by junkyardturbo...

Everyone has been asking questions about what they need for their turbo setup or how to turbo their car and so on and so forth. I think it's great that all these people want to make their neons fast, but it seems like everyone is doing it all at once and no one has any idea how to do it. So what do you do... ask questions and do research. It seems like everyone is asking questions, but not doing any research because when they try, all they find is questions from other people about turbocharging their cars. So I'm bored and figured we could use a reference on this subject, just like the 1st gen boards have the advice to those modding their cars, which is awesome BTW. I couldn't come close to touching the advice of that sticky, but I was hoping some of the old timer turbo guys could fill in the blanks for me. So, anyway, here goes.

There are basically 2 ways to turbocharge your car, and 2 ways to give your engine the extra fuel it needs for forced induction. The basic two ways to get there is easy, buy a kit or diy. Pretty much cut and dry, buy a kit, and slap it on (slightly harder than that, but at least you have directions ) Diy is slightly harder. It seems like most people think they can buy the srt-4 manifold and turbo, put it on their car and go. Sorry folks, but you just fell into the diy category. I'll stay away from the kit side of things and stick primarily to the diy stuff because that seems like where most of the questions come from so this is a small list of things you will need and should get along with some advice as far as research goes.

Step one...RESEARCH. THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF THE DIY TURBO SETUP. If you can't or won't do this step, buy a kit and stop asking stupid questions. Turbocharging your car is not cheap or easy. Some good places for research are, here, where else, there are tons of guys doing this on here. Instead of asking them what they did, read the thread and see what they did. Read tons of threads, read until your eyeballs pop out of your sockets and your brain starts smoking. Then you will have some vague idea of how to do this. Then, get some kind of informative book on the aspects of turbocharging. Reading threads on the .org will tell you the quirks of turbocharging your neon and the books will tell you everything else. I.E. how to read compressor maps, how to figure out what size intercooler and piping you need, how to figure out what size injectors you need, and it will help you figure out how little you know about turbochargine and engine. Seriously, you don't know anything until you realize you know nothing.

Step two....Figure out what you will be using the car for. This should be self explanatory, if you need someone to answer this question for you, you have the intelligence of a tomato. And with your new found knowledge, you can start deciding what turbo you need, if you'll need to build a motor or if you can use the stock block and internals, etc, etc.

Step three....Buy a ton of ****. I mean a ton, there are lots and lots of little tiny parts you never knew you would need to do this. A kit comes with all this stuff, guess what, you're stupid, you wanted to save money and come to find out some fittings you need are $20 each. Oh, and you need 10 of them. Hahaha, sucker!! Oh well, you're already this far into it and I guarantee you the satisfaction of doing this will be well worth it when it's done. As long as you don't blow up your engine on the way there. Here's the good part, a list of stuff you will need. This is where we'll split it into the two types of fuel systems. First off will be the way most of us do it, and that is....

With a rrfpr. Also known as a rising rate fuel pressure regulator. I'd say 80% of turbo neons out there use this system, including most if not all of the kits. It works, I would highly suggest going this route. Anyway, here's a list for this setup.

Necessary components:

Exhaust manifold with the proper flange for your turbo (available from howell, ebay, make it yourself, and a couple people on the .org)

Turbo that will bolt to your manifold (available from everywhere, online, junkyards, ebay, howell, the crazy guy next door)

Or, srt-4 mani/turbo combo.

Plumbing for the turbo, some turbos are just oil cooled and some are also water cooled I'm sure you can figure out what you will need with the turbo you have

Exhaust piping and Intake piping. May or may not include intercooler piping depending on what you have. Go to an exhaust shop or make it yourself.

Fuel rail fitted for a return line. Guess what, the stock one already is!!! Just use the center test port hooked up to some 4-an line and make sure to take the valve out. Or you can find one from Lorenzo on the boards, or you can tap into the end of the fuel rail.

RRFPR, it's pretty much a cartech/begi or a chill factory unit. Some people use a Vortech unit, but I don't think too many have had very good luck with them. CF's work awesome from what I hear, and Cartechs work good unless you're using huge injectors and have really low fuel pressure.

Return line. Your car doesn't have one so you need to find a way make one.

Voltage clamp or Missing link. Your computer freaks out when it sees boost so you need some way to stop that. Either by electrical means (voltage clamp) or mechanical means (missing link) Choice is up to you, read about the pros and cons of each and make your own decision.

Did I also mention millions of fittings and other weird stuff you never thought you'd need. Seriously, plan on spending $1000 more than you originally thought on various odds and ends.

And if I've forgot anything that's ABSOLUTELY necessary, someone please correct me. Keep in mind, this is the bare minimum. Now lets see what is a very very good idea to have with your turbo system.

Optional items

Intercooler, helping save engines from detonation since, I dunno, a long time.

Blow off Valve, saves your turbo from killing itself. People say you don't need them with an atx tranny, but I disagree, choice is yours.

Wastegate, this should have been in the necessary components list, but technically it isn't a necessary item, but if you don't put one on, you're stupid. Most turbo's come with one neatly attached to it anyway, so use it.

Larger injectors. Most people get along with 24 lb/hr injectors for mild setups, but this too has been highly debated so use what you find out works for you.

Big frickin fuel pump. Walbro isn't frickin big, but works good for most. Many people also use booster pumps or replace everything with gigantic external pumps. Depends on your fuel needs, usually walbro will be enough.

Non stock exhaust i.e. larger pipes, your turbo likes to breath, let it.

Gauges, and lot of them. In order of importance IMHO, oil psi, fuel psi, boost, egt, a/f ratio preferably wideband. You can get more, but these make a really good start and will allow some if not all tuning possible without hitting the dyno

God I hope that's it. It's late and my memory is failing me so if I missed anything, chime in. Now to the alternate flavor of fuel delivery. Stand alone or extra injectors.

I'm grouping these together one because i know nothing about either one and two because it seems like they're somewhat related. Somewhat. I can't go into a list of parts for these because once again, I know nothing about them besides the fact that many people use them due to lower fuel pressure, no need for a return line, increased rpm range, increased driveability if tuned right, and are a must once a certain performance level is reached or desired. Oh, and piggyback systems can work, but usually won't work well. Don't know why? Read and find out.

Now, need to know how to modify your fuel system or make a voltage clamp? Here you go, make sure you thank Spoolboy for the info.

http://www.fwdmopar.com/sites/dennis/howto.html

http://www.fwdmopar.com/sites/dennis/plfuelmods.html

Good stuff right hna. Now for the last step.

Step four, put it all together, hold your breath, and hope it all works. If you've done your research and are halfway decent at turning a wrench, you should be on your way. To breaking parts on your car. Guess what, now you'll need a better clutch, stronger axles, and possibly a lsd or quaife. Remember that extra $1000 you didn't plan on that I told you to plan on spending. Guess what, if you haven't already spent it, now is the time.

Axles will run around $1000 for some good stage 3's from dss. The pt cruiser clutch is a good upgrade for moderate power levels, after that you'll have to find out what works best for you because I have no idea. Phantom grip makes a lsd insert thingamajig for about $250, haven't heard too much about those either opinions differ on that as well. The quaife is @ $1200 not installed. From what I have heard it costs way too much money to have them installed by a shop and the shop will never do it right so if you really can't live without one of these, plan on spending more cash on the proper tools and know how to install one of these babies.

And I'm done. If you want to turbo your car and couldn't sit through reading this, you'll never get through the research part of building a turbo system so just give up now. But I guess if you couldn't stand reading all this, you aren't reading this, so have fun blowing up your car. I'll be sure to make fun of you when you post "why didn't my turbo system work" Oh, and one last thing, RESEARCH. Trust me, I've done my fair share and still have no idea whatsoever, as you can see. Good luck and happy boosting

Old 09-24-2007, 11:15 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^That is an extremely old post too, but does have some good info.

Old 09-25-2007, 05:10 AM
HabitatHxC
Captain

ORIGINAL: justinsanders

listen im just learning you had to do the same thing you werent just born knowin all the **** that u kno.

Your giving him too much credit by saying he knows stuff!

Old 09-25-2007, 09:21 AM
spudsterier
Legend

1st off....the srt4 turbo isnt just a slap on......but, you still have to do alot of the same stuff for it to work as you would for the hahn turbo kit to work....only difference is that the hahn comes with a very long install manual.....
for any turbo kit, you still have to mod the fuel pump for a return line....still get an external fuel pump....still get a rrfpr....
the hahn kit just comes with everything needed....the srt kit, you need to buy everything separate....
i had to buy 4 fittings....they were all AN fittings 2-for the fuel regulator, 1-for the fuel pump return line, and 1-for the fuel rail return line......i think they cost about $15-$20 a piece.....
fuel injection hose....i needed about8 feet of it.....cost $48

the best thing that i can say to do is make sure you have EVERYTHING you will need to install the turbo.....it took me 2 weeks the 1st time i installed the srt4 turbo on my car...only because i kept needing to order parts throughout the whole install....

if you decide to get the srt4 turbo, let me know and i will walk you through as much as i can...its not too bad at all
i think the hardest part is actually modding the fuel pump for the return line.....but all it really is is just drilling a few holes and putting about $50-$75 worth of fittings on it

again like i said, the hahn kit still requires the same amount of work....only difference is that the hahn kit comes with everything in 1 package

if i get a chance later then i might go out in the country with both of my r/t's and race them......i just need to find sumone to drive the blue one.....just to show the difference between a stock r/t and one thats highly modded with the srt4 turbo

Old 09-25-2007, 01:20 PM
Captansavaho
Captain

i also want to find a less expensive turbo but i have a sohc engine. so a srt-4 turbo will not work right? or thats atleast what i have been reading. any other turbo's besides hahn? that would work with my car? 98 dodge neon sohc(highline, like it matters)

Old 09-25-2007, 01:33 PM
das2123
Legend

ORIGINAL: Captansavaho
i also want to find a less expensive turbo
Less expensive = less quality in this case.

so a srt-4 turbo will not work right?
Sure you can, you just need the mattdog adapter which costs around $200.

any other turbo's besides hahn? that would work with my car? 98 dodge neon sohc(highline, like it matters)
Not that I know of. I remember seeing one a while back but don't remember the company.

Quick Reply: where can i find a cheeper turbo kit?