1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Front Wheel "Clicking"

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2004 | 05:15 PM
jimbo99
Default Front Wheel "Clicking"

I've got an '01 SE 5-spd with 47,000 miles that has a low speed clicking from the front drivers side. Pronounced at 5-30 mph. Can't really hear it after that.

Sounds just like pinning cards onto bike spokes. Speeds up as the wheel speeds up. It isn;t affected by applying brakes or turning.

Old 11-06-2004 | 05:18 PM
casper
Legend
Default RE: Front Wheel "Clicking"

It either the hub, bearings are bad, or bad cv joint. Does it do it around corners or just straight or both?

Old 11-06-2004 | 06:36 PM
morningpride
Veteran

Does it have plastic hub caps on it?

Beleive it or not, Chrysler has a TSB out on Clicking hub caps on the 01 Neon.

Take the hub cap off of the side you are hearing the noise from, and then drive it!

It could just be as simple as that

Jeff
Philly

Old 11-06-2004 | 06:37 PM
Cr@zy Squ33

I'm going to ahve to guess CV joint.

It'll cost you about $75 for a new half shaft. DO NOT replce the boots they aren't designed to be replaceable.

Onc eyou get dirt in there it will never stop making that noise. It will eventually stop working and explode... .not literally an explosion but it'll break.

Old 11-07-2004 | 06:28 PM
jimbo99

hanks to all! I'll check the plastic hub caps first. It seems to only do it while driving straight.

Old 11-08-2004 | 05:20 PM
casper
Legend

Mine does that every once and a while and I can't figure it out either, I have to replace both front hubs anyways, tire store idiots broke a stud on both the drivers and passenger side front wheels.

Old 12-07-2004 | 03:26 AM
99NEONCASPER

my car has that noise,
it has been for about a year but lat me tall you that putting new hubs and cv shaft wont always help.
thats what i did still cliking
but nothing has fallen off and it still drives
i even have after market wheels and brakes
still cliking
but if you find it let me know

Old 12-07-2004 | 05:29 AM
TJW815
Veteran

mine has that noise too, it sounds like a rock stuck in the tire, but you can't hardly hear it at higher speeds unless your by a wall or something, I figure I got moisture stuck in the seal or something... Like in the movie My Cousin vinney "you got mud "in" your tire"

I watch way to much TV

Old 12-08-2004 | 12:48 AM
99NEONCASPER

now my noise is when i first start of stop
not much noise when im on the move

Old 05-04-2005 | 10:42 PM
shadyavis

This might be similar to a problem that I am having with my '96. It just started hearing a clicking noise a few days ago and at first i thought it was coming from the driver's side front tire-assuming it was the cv joint. My friend had that problem and said that when you go over a bump with a bad cv boot it sounds like your wheel is going to fall off. After listening closer the clicking was acutally coming from my engine. I changed the plugs and wires hoping that would help-but no luck. I hear the clicking noise when I put the engine under a load. It does not happen when the car is coasting or cruising under a normal load. It kind of sounds like the noise that your bicycle would make when you put a baseball card in the spoke. Anyone have any ideas? I am stuck and the noise is driving me crazy!

Quick Reply: Front Wheel "Clicking"