1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

2.4 Engine sawp

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 09:01 AM
estneon
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2.4 Engine sawp

put a bighood scoop on[8D]i personaly would use the neons 5-speedmtxtrans but thats just me(and a few others)....im just not trying to ruin your dreamsput the stratus's transon if you realy want too.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:09 AM
Slashwannabe

ORIGINAL: Jr. Mechanic

You cannot use the 4spd trans because it gets too hot in the neon's small engine bay. Even with an auxiliary cooler it will get too hot.
I call BS, The most room in the Engine Bay on a Neonis right by the Transmission, My friend did this swap with the Stratus 4 speed Automatic and he has no problems what so ever for 2 years now, the Trans breaths enough, you just need to use the trans cooler from the Stratus.

Where people go wrong is by using the stock Neon trans cooler,, use the Stratus one and You'll be fine. If you have a stratus transmission that came with the 2.4 just laying around that isn't getting any use I'd use it, besides what do you have to lose? even if there was a risk, Sowhat. YouBurn up a transmission that doesn't even belong to a car anymore..... In the 5 years it would take to burn out you've lost only6 hours of tranny swap time.

This swap is safe provided you use the trans cooler in which was designed for it.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:21 AM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ I wanna see pics of the 4-speed tranny in the neon then, or I call BS!!

That was the reason Chrysler didn't use the 4-speed auto tranny...there were fitment and heat issues.
Chrysler tested the Neon with a four speed unit from the JA series (Cirrus, Stratus, Breeze). However, overheating due to the tight engine compartment led to durability problems and the idea was dropped. Also, Chrysler's marketing team does not feel that buyers are willing to pay a premium of several hundred dollars for a four speed automatic.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:22 AM
estneon
Record Breaker

and theresa littlemore room in the neon then in the stratusi think

Old 10-15-2007, 09:25 AM
das2123
Legend

ORIGINAL: estneon

and theresa littlemore room in the neon then in the stratusi think
Put the 2.4 engine in the neon engine bay and then ask yourself if there is more room

Old 10-15-2007, 09:36 AM
Slashwannabe

ORIGINAL: das2123

^^^ I wanna see pics of the 4-speed tranny in the neon then, or I call BS!!

That was the reason Chrysler didn't use the 4-speed auto tranny...there were fitment and heat issues.
Chrysler tested the Neon with a four speed unit from the JA series (Cirrus, Stratus, Breeze). However, overheating due to the tight engine compartment led to durability problems and the idea was dropped. Also, Chrysler's marketing team does not feel that buyers are willing to pay a premium of several hundred dollars for a four speed automatic.
It was aboutMoney, read the last thing you quoted If your so worried about heat then move the battery to the trunk then theres lots of room for the transmission to breath. They never said how many miles it took the transmission to cook and that just doesn't hold weight that theory of heat, I'd be more concerned about my stock 2.0 Engine overheating than the stratustransmission. I would like to see any car that has its own air path for specifically talored to cool the transmission, I doubt there are many if any let alone a Neon or Stratus. The transmission gets cooled off first hand from its cooling unit that goes to the front of the radiator, second it gets cooled by cool air rushing underneith the car. I just do not see a significant heat gain that will make much if any difference. That quote isn't from Chrysler anyway so it could just be speculation or reffering to the real reason it wasn't used.....more money for Chrysler to retool their Neon line which would ad cost anddefeat the purpose of buying a Neon.

Its a garbage theory, theres people in the real world who have done this swap and run fine without problemsand I'd say your more likley to burn your stock transmission out just as quick as you would any other if not faster than the stratus transmission.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:48 AM
das2123
Legend

ORIGINAL: Slashwannabe
Its a garbage theory, theres people in the real world who have done this swap and run fine without problemsand I'd say your more likley to burn your stock transmission out just as quick as you would any other if not faster than the stratus transmission.
It's not a theory. The answer comes from Chrysler Engineer's themselves.

I still wanna see pics and since you have a friend that did it, it should be easy to get some!

Old 10-15-2007, 10:22 AM
Slashwannabe

ORIGINAL: das2123

ORIGINAL: Slashwannabe
It's not a theory. The answer comes from Chrysler Engineer's themselves.

I still wanna see pics and since you have a friend that did it, it should be easy to get some!
Sure Thing...I will contact him later today : )

I see if he took pictures of the before too.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:39 AM
noenwarrior
Rookie

what about the wirng doesnt the 4 speed need the stratus transmission comuter to shift it? how are you gonna wire that up?

Old 10-15-2007, 01:06 PM
Heavy_D508
Rookie

just thro a fan on the oil cooler for the tranny and there u go, thats if they have one which im pretty sure.

Quick Reply: 2.4 Engine sawp