1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

What Does it take For Our Ponies To Keep Up With The Real Pony..neon vs mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 02:49 AM
boxerjl2
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Does it take For Our Ponies To Keep Up With The Real Pony..neon vs mustang?

what does it take for our neons to keep up with a normal every day mustang?? just a stock one

cuz i race a SVT one today and i had no chance so what kind of performance parts does it take to atleast stay up with them??

is it achievable with bolt ons or do i need to go with Nitrous or a turbo?

right now im working on

TB space
ATX TB
Mopar Peformance Brain
3.0 Ghetto Iceman

which i know that isnt gonna get me riding with the big dogs but its getting me steps closer

im gonna instal the Tb Spacer tomorrow i dont know if ill notice any gains or not but i hope i do

So let me know

Old 10-11-2007, 02:58 AM
12 volt
Record Breaker
Default RE: What Does it take For Our Ponies To Keep Up With The Real Pony..neon vs mustang?

depending on what year your looking at it's close to about 300ft-lb of torque. in other words your better off just buying one

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Mustang_SVT_Cobra

Old 10-11-2007, 07:20 AM
Slashwannabe
Default RE: What Does it take For Our Ponies To Keep Up With The Real Pony..neon vs mustang?

Mod a Turbo from an old Chrysler K-Car (aka any 80s-early90s Chrysler Turbo Car) and you'll own just about any economycar and 80+Mustangon the road with exceptions for built V8s. Seriously your looking at 200+hp from a Neon and Quarter Mile times into the 14s and thats 60's Muscle car territory which most low end 60's muscle cars could own a Mustang SVT.

Ok $1500 (or under)Could get you owning most street cars. Heres How.....

Cheap Way.... Buy the Ebay Turbo Kit for the SOHC for around $400 along with Intercooler for $150 on Ebay. Or alone if you prefer!

I know people have said these are probably **** but a buddy of mine installed one on his Neon and I helped him install it and I was supprised with how well it was built with all the bad rep it got on the forum, It has avery nice finnish andthe rotating assembly has no snags and features roller bearings and it came with oiling and coolent lines, the fittings seemed to be very good quality andthe kitcame with everything you needed.... Installation time was about 3 hours just so we made sure we did everything correct. So farit has lasted him a month with no problems on a stock SOHC Engine and the thing will plant you hardcore, No Rice Burner has even been in view when he races, he has taken out 80s Cameros and Mustangs and even a 50s Chevy Nomad with a mildlybuilt350.

Expensive Way

Pull Your Current Engine out....

Take it apart and send it to the shop for a full Race Balence (Around $150 at car Quest for the balencing)

MLS Head Gasket ( or purchase the thickest one you can get!)

Ebay SOHCFull gasket set $40

Federal Mogal Rings $40 (last time I checked)

Ebay Turbo or Garrett Turbo from Chrysler K Car $200-$400 for the full or modded set up (depending on if you can find one).

Port and Polish

Bore out your Throttle Body to 57mm and match Intake. Acording to Various sources55-57 mm is the sweet spot for 100% Volumetric efficiency on a 2.0 Liter Engine(any more will be a waste).

Intercooler $150 on Ebay

Turbo Cam $200

Killing a Ford Car Priceless

I'd say mixing any one of these mods together would be an upgrade. You don't really need them all to work as a unit except for maybe the Turbo Cam, Turbo and intercooler the Port N Polish is free. You could easily be into the 14 second range with these mods. I don't think there is any other way that is cheap and powerfull except for the Turbo route when compared to building all motor.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:43 AM
hnda8r
Captain

Well if it isnt RICER BOXER...lol [sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Looks like slash pretty much covered what you want to do. There are a couple neons in my area that sport that cheap ebay kit, and so far there running pretty good. But like the saying goes, you get what you paid for.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:04 AM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: boxerjl2

what does it take for our neons to keep up with a normal every day mustang?? just a stock one

cuz i race a SVT one today and i had no chance so what kind of performance parts does it take to atleast stay up with them??

is it achievable with bolt ons or do i need to go with Nitrous or a turbo?
You should be slapped for racing an SVT....what were you thinking. You should really read on cars in general and have some idea of what you are going up against.

You would need forced induction to keep up!

Old 10-11-2007, 09:08 AM
boxerjl2
Record Breaker

what are you retarted ?

why would you even say that seriously . go kill yourself Honda8r
i dont get why that was even neccesarry ?? it wasnt so seriously just go commit suicide

well anyways with the turbo from ebay do i still need the DOHC Head??

im sure ill need a new manifold becuz its gotta hook up some how

can i run headers with the turbo ?

i know i cant have the mopar peformance so that would be out of the question know

so i will need to get
Better oil pump
fuel injectors
and ?? besides the turbo

Old 10-11-2007, 09:14 AM
boxerjl2
Record Breaker

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FMIC-...QQcmdZViewItem

is that enouph piping??

the intercooler?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FMIC-...QQcmdZViewItem

isnt 14 seconds slow?? seriously cuz that neon on youtube said 14.7 and it was only slightly modded and your say ill shade 7 seconds with a turbo??

Turbo Kit

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-99-DODGE-NEON-420A-T3-T4-CHARGER-TURBO-MANIFOLD-KIT_W0QQitemZ260169115233QQihZ016QQcategoryZ33742Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

aww ok so it comes with the manifold

but the main question being can i run my headers with a turbo and if not do i have to convert to stock or what ??

Old 10-11-2007, 09:37 AM
das2123
Legend

well anyways with the turbo from ebay do i still need the DOHC Head??
You can get one that is for the SOHC.

can i run headers with the turbo ?
The exhaust turbo manifold replaces the stock exhaust manifold or header....so No, you can't.

so i will need to get
Better oil pump
fuel injectors
and ?? besides the turbo
You need a bigger fuel pump, bigger injectors and alot of other stuff. Have you not read any of the turbo threads on this forum????

Old 10-11-2007, 10:03 AM
spudsterier
Legend

you dont NEED bigger injectors unless you gonna build the internals in the motor since the stock internals cant handle much more power then the stock injectors are good for.....

the ebay intercooler pipe kit is basically the same kit i have, the ebay intercooler is junk....most cheap intercoolers are made of thin material and dont have a very good flow design.....if your gonna get a cheap ebay intercooler then you might as well save the money and not use one at all

$400 for a cheap abay turbo kit, i still wouldnt waste the money on it....not only does it not come with even half of the parts, the turbos are rebuilt, and half of the parts look like they came from the junk yard anyways.....
if your gonna do it, then do it the right way.....i bet that my red r/t wouldnt of had too many problems keeping up with vettes, but that was also at 14psi

Old 10-11-2007, 10:40 AM
hnda8r
Captain

what are you retarted ?

why would you even say that seriously . go kill yourself Honda8r
i dont get why that was even neccesarry ?? it wasnt so seriously just go commit suicide
AHH ha ha ha ha...ricer boxer.......Im not the RETARD whos chasing SVTs. I dont do that and I have a turbocharged Eagle Talon. Im mean you have to have some sort of "brains" to know that if you go up against a v8 you 1. Gotta have forced induction 2. Gotta know how to shift 3. Forged internals or 4. Gotta have a 200+hp n/a gutted car.
And for gods sake man do some RESEARCH!!!
https://dodgeforum.com/m_635615/tm.htm

https://dodgeforum.com/m_636972/tm.htm
"YA JACKASS." <---quote from Happy Gilmore[sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Quick Reply: What Does it take For Our Ponies To Keep Up With The Real Pony..neon vs mustang?