1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

im getting a turbo

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 05:35 PM
turboplz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: im getting a turbo

The ebay ones can be found for under $100 for a large size bar and plate design which will flow more air but won't cool as well as a tube and fin style. The IC I got off ebay is a tube and fin design and rated to 500 hp and has a 1psi pressure drop per 15psi...which isn't EXCELLENT...but I know that SRT intercooler has a fairly high pressure drop...mainly due to the poor end tank designs.

And the how well a intercooler flows has a lot to do with the end tank designs....intercoolers with a tapered end tank will flow extremely well and have less pressure drop rather than one with square end tanks.

Before I took the motor out of my Xr4ti I was at 295 whp and 345wtq and that intercooler kept the charge extremely cool for running 20psi on a stock .60/.63 t3 turbo. At the end of a drag run I would get out to feel the charge pipes and the outlet would be just above ambient temps. My buddy in his srt running the stock 15-18psi would get out and his would be completely heat soaked, on a stock srt.

But, if you're only planning to run small amounts of boost, the SRT intercooler will probably suit you well up to the stock srt levels of around 220-240 hp @ the crank. Also, if you have a tiny turbo it will work harder to put out that 8psi versus a slightly larger one. That being said, the smaller turbo will blow hotter air than the slightly larger one making the need for a bigger intercooler that much more important.

What are the specs on that Stage 2 turbo anyhow?

Old 10-26-2007, 06:01 PM
HabitatHxC
Captain

I have a big ol front mount =D

[IMG]local://upfiles/30753/212423AB43394D548107BC2DC0105E40.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-26-2007, 11:43 PM
12 volt
Record Breaker
Old 10-27-2007, 01:32 AM
effecktz

I live in cali and emissions suck :/ bout to turbo the car ha. I would go with the srt intercooler as well since thats what im doing better and costs less

Old 10-27-2007, 10:22 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

most people that know anything about turbos dont get their big intercoolers for $100 off of ebay....its that simple....
go on the srtforums.om and ask how many people are using an ebay big ffont mount intercooler

Old 10-27-2007, 10:43 AM
turboplz

ORIGINAL: spudsterier

most people that know anything about turbos dont get their big intercoolers for $100 off of ebay....its that simple....
go on the srtforums.om and ask how many people are using an ebay big ffont mount intercooler
Oye.....no, that's just ignorance [sm=icon_beat.gif]. You don't have to buy the most expensive IC for an extra 5-10hp. Go to turboford.net and ask how many people are running ebay intercoolers....a majority of them are. And most of them are making 350-500whp. I'm not saying the ebay intercoolers are the end-all/be-all of good priced intercoolers, just that they are efficient and will support more horsepower than pretty much anyone here will ever run.

Or you can go with water injection, meth injection or a water-air intercooler...all of which will cool the charge down even better.

Old 10-27-2007, 03:15 PM
spudsterier
Legend

most intercoolers on ebay are junk....its as simple as that

Old 10-27-2007, 08:48 PM
estneon
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: turboplz

Go to turboford.net and ask how many people are running ebay intercoolers....a majority of them are. And most of them are making 350-500whp. I'm not saying the ebay intercoolers are the end-all/be-all of good priced intercoolers, just that they are efficient and will support more horsepower than pretty much anyone here will ever run.

fords are junk they can get away with that....ebay is not the performance super store...wtf quit getting these importent parts for these cheap prices[:@]damn why don't you go get their ebay pistons and complet the pos set...im with spud all the way ebay ic's are junk....you might get lucky and get a good one but why take the chance?

Old 10-28-2007, 09:38 AM
spudsterier
Legend

if a good big front mount costs about $500-$800 then why would $100 on ebay seem like its just as good

Old 10-28-2007, 05:06 PM
estneon
Record Breaker

because people think that ebay is the best place in the world. you can get that mpxbig frontmount ic off of modern for $400 and i trust their work.

Quick Reply: im getting a turbo