1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Turbo is on and running Great!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 09:58 PM
Slashwannabe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo is on and running Great!

Hey Guys, its been a few days since I got the turbo on and so far its running great!

I ordered a Walbro 255 fuelpump but I couldn't wait for it to get here so I decided to try the turbo out on the stock fuel pump and to my suprise it doesn't ping and really has some high end ***** and doesn't cut out at all, Engine temps have been fine. I've added some laquer thinner to reduce the chance of predetonation even though I didn't see any trace of it.

I've ran on 6psi for a few days now and it ran good so I upped it to 8psi today and it really throws me back! I'm still going to put the Walbro pump on when it gets here but for now i'm having a blast and its still running good not one pop or miss or hesitation to be seen or felt. I sure am glad I went with the Mitsubishi TE04 over the Garrett T03 , just cause the spool time is not even existant!. I burnt out pretty damn good andI had to do it just onceso I could say it did it

When my brother gets the video encoded I'll post it, its pretty damn good.

Old 11-18-2007, 10:34 PM
Aerorat
All Star
Default RE: Turbo is on and running Great!

Glad to hear it

Old 11-18-2007, 11:08 PM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well its good that it is all working....i run 8psi and it can burn the tires through 1st and 2nd gears with no problems....as wellas having no turbo lag at all

Old 11-19-2007, 08:07 AM
hnda8r
Captain

What kind of bottom end you running. Stock? or .020 overbore? Reg, or forged?[>:]

Old 11-19-2007, 08:59 PM
Slashwannabe

ORIGINAL: hnda8r

What kind of bottom end you running. Stock? or .020 overbore? Reg, or forged?[>:]
Bone Stock, 128,500 Mile 1998SOHCEngine @ only8 psi of boost, plenty safe.Runs Great and hauls ***. Has new water pump and timing belt.

I have an extra 2.0 SOHC so I'm not too afraid to be out a car if something happens to this engine. Eventually I will buy better rods and pistons and get the crank balanced and possibly buy a turbo camshaft,weather thats on my current engine or on my back up engine remains an open idea.

I've heard all the storys about these engines running boost and most of them are exagerated by book mechanics and not real mechanics. The most common I hear is that the Pistons won't hold up to the boost but rods stretch at the 250ft lbs of torque mark then I hear the pistons are fine and it can take 14psi. I don't really care I putthe turbo on and I guess I'm going to find out myself what the sohc can take safely.

The turbo I bought came off of a stockNeon 2.0that ran for a year on 16psi, I'm only running 8psi so I should be safe.

Old 11-20-2007, 02:21 AM
12 volt
Record Breaker

no pics or vids??

Old 11-20-2007, 11:31 AM
Slashwannabe

Pic's are coming soon, I am currently in search of a new camera as I broke the piece of **** that took my signature pic.

Old 11-20-2007, 02:40 PM
pimpberetta
Veteran

Start to finish, how long did it take you to complete the install?

Old 11-20-2007, 03:24 PM
Slashwannabe

took me about 3 hours to install, but what took the longest was making the manifold which was like 5 hours worth of work with welding and cutting and milling the surface bolt holes and mounting plate. But just for me to install all my parts it was like 3 hours. As for installing the part that took long was draining the oil and drilling the oil drain line and connecting the coolent lines. The easiest part was putting my turbo on beelive it or not, my manifold worked perfect for lining up the exhaust downpipe and turbo perfectly so I justhad minor exhaust work to do. I'm not using an intercooler so I didn't have to install any of that stuff. For an air cleaner I bought a $12 small air cleaner from Autozone that fits over the end of the turbo inlet and I modified my stock intake tube to go onto the end of the turbo. Install time would have taken much longer if I waited to assemble certain parts while installingsuch as the oil T assemblyand intake tube/air cleaner and the oil feed line which I had made out of brake line.Pretty much the little thingsthat get to a person...lol

I had an extra engine to refference off of so I made use of that and my trusty tape measure. thenI ran my boost controller inside the car by the cup holders where the ashtray used to be, I don't smoke so I threw that out.

Old 11-20-2007, 05:40 PM
12 volt
Record Breaker

I've added some laquer thinner to reduce the chance of predetonation even though I didn't see any trace of it.
you must be talking about pre-ignition and you should be careful running laquer thinner with your fuel. too much of that stuff can contaminate your oil.

Quick Reply: Turbo is on and running Great!