1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Engine Stalling running like crap

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 11:50 AM
NeonArchon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Stalling running like crap

I have a 95 Gen-1 SOHC and here is the problem:
Sometimes when I start it, it will run fine for a bit but usually dies within 10 minutes of idling the rest of the time it will die as soon as it starts or I put it in drive or reverse. I also noticed that the car stumbles when driving and will usually die when I come to a stop. My check engine light is usually on but sometimes turns off (when it wants to run like crap) go figure? I pulled the codes but can't find them and my girlfriend took it to work so I can't get them right away but I wanted to get some ideas to check. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:59 PM
tattoojack
Veteran
Default RE: Engine Stalling running like crap

mine does the same but only once in a while. if you get a 43code, one of the cylinders is misfiring. it could be a faulty plug wire, bad plug, coil, or numerous other things. my problem ended up being i had a bad motor mount, which caused the engine to move more than it should. this shook the connector for the coilpack (on top of the engine) which i found out was a lil melted, causing the connection to come loose under hard acceleration. then until i reset the computer (by removing the fuel pump fuse in the underhood fusebox behind battery) it ran like crap. i also had to make sure the coilpack power connector was plugged in snug. once i replaced that plug and motor mount, no more problems. hope this helps. get the codes and i could tell u more.

Old 11-21-2007, 03:28 PM
NeonArchon

OK, I got the codes, but noticed I got a two of them twice:
11 (x2)
43 (x2)
From what I can tell, I may need a new timing belt based on the codes, but if my timing belt was going wouldn't it run like crap ALL the time?

Old 11-21-2007, 04:12 PM
tattoojack
Veteran

eh, maybe. if you got two 43's it is because you have multiple misfire. the others i am not to sure. the timing belt could be going or stretched. maybe your tensioner is loosing strength. most likely you have a missing tooth on the belt or the cam gear. sounds bad. try checking the coilpack plug first. always cheap then expensive.

Quick Reply: Engine Stalling running like crap