cylinder head question

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 06:05 PM
AMM
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: cylinder head question

ORIGINAL: 95to96transplantneon

ok the best STOCK intake manifold. It has a second set of runners for each intake port and a relay opens the second runners up after a certain rpms giving you more air where you need it in your powerband, (kinda like vtech but not. vtech opens a thrid valve in the head, R/T manifold opens a second runner for each intake port.)...if you were to get one from mike it would outflow the 2nd gen R/T manifold. the magnum head you have to remember is a SOHC but ithas a hotter cam then a stock SOHC and better springs also has bigger intake and exuast ports. dont know if it also out performs the stock 1st gen dohc or not...Mike would be the one to answer that.
there are some inaccurracies in this and i will point them out so people dont get the wrong ideas about stuff.

with the dual runner manfiolds (mag engine, honda b18c1 and others out there) they use the long runners for the lower rpms and then in the higher rpms the secondaries openup and they incorporate a second/ shorter path of airflow for more top end power. not exactly like vtec but most people know what ur saying. as for vtec....... its not a third valve....... at the calibrated rpm the vtec solenoid opens up and allows oil pressure through the head and into the LMA's so the acuate and run on the third (vtec) lobe on the cam therefor opening the valves higher and for a longer duration. and as for one of my manifolds out flowing a mag manifold....... well im not gonna say thats true because i dont know that for a fact........ i do know mine will change ur power band and give u power though, i was giving u a hard time because what u said. the intake ports on any sohc neon head are the exact same........ the mag exhaust ports are about 1/4" bigger than the standard sohc's though........... and no a mag head can not out perform a dohc head or intake.

AMM

Old 11-29-2007, 12:54 AM
jfink
Veteran

so whats the point of having a magnum head if it is a sohc with larger exhaust ports??

Old 11-29-2007, 01:07 AM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker

more flow....

sorrymike im just getting my info from other people that have the wrong idea, and im lead astra from correct info. but thanks for correcting me...I really dont want to give people the wrong info...

Old 11-29-2007, 01:14 AM
AMM
Rookie

ORIGINAL: 95to96transplantneon

more flow....

sorrymike im just getting my info from other people that have the wrong idea, and im lead astra from correct info. but thanks for correcting me...I really dont want to give people the wrong info...
on the exhaust side............. its a whole different design on the exhaust side actually its not just a little bigger in diameter.

AMM

Old 11-29-2007, 01:25 AM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker

god i need to just shut my mouth around here...lol

Old 11-29-2007, 01:31 AM
jfink
Veteran

alright i have a 95 SOHC i'm going to switch it to a DOHC but before i do i am going to port and polish both intake and exhaust ports and install larger valves both intake and exhaust so why should i get a magnum if it is a sohc and has larger exhaust ports??

Old 11-29-2007, 10:08 AM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^There would be no reason to get a mag head if you are switching to a DOHC head. There is no reason to do anything to your stock head if you are swapping to a DOHC heag later on.

I thought you were looking for more performance out of a SOHC head.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:27 PM
jfink
Veteran

so inregard to my original question real fast.........would a sec generation DOHC fit on a first generation SOHC block??

Old 11-29-2007, 10:35 PM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there is no 2nd gen dohc....production of the dohc motor was ended in 2000

Old 11-29-2007, 10:58 PM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker

srt-4 isent DOHC??? I know we are splitting hairs spud but is the srt-4 concidered a 2nd gen???

Quick Reply: cylinder head question