1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

turbo question dont kill me

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 01:52 PM
Captansavaho
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo question dont kill me

so i was at the junkyard yesterday. only going to get an mtx tranny. im doing the swap. when i ran across a older chyrsler lebaron. that had a garret t03 turbo. so i said what the hell pulled it off. so im going through with the turbo. here is where my question comes in. i have a SOHC and from reading and so on im going to need a custom manifold. while im doing this would it be easier just go swap it and make it a dohc. which would be the easier way to go? im also rebuilding the top and bottom. i ordered the top and bottom kit from modern. im just getting everything ready. basically im broke now and trying to figure out which would be the cheaper route. as far as making it a dohc or trying to modify a sohc manifold for it.

Old 01-08-2008, 02:03 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker
Default RE: turbo question dont kill me

cheaper is staying with the sohc? Otherwise you will need to go and get the dohc head, computer, manifolds, and what not... Like you said all you need to do is modify the sohc manifold for it to work. Thats just time. How are you doing the bottom end? Lowering compression? Go look at spuds stuff. He has some stuff for turbo set up but the rrfpr he has is mine.

Old 01-08-2008, 02:17 PM
Captansavaho
Captain

is there a need to lower compresion? lower compression=more boost? i was just going to rebuild the bottom end. just everything new and what all needs to be done to modify the manifold? does anyone have a pic of that it needs to look like or is it just the bolt pattern?

Old 01-08-2008, 03:57 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/9720/crim0149we5.jpg

Something like that?

Old 01-08-2008, 11:02 PM
Slashwannabe

I_Ride_Neon Posted a pic of what my homemade manifold looks like that I made using my stock exhaust manifold, but if you don't have the ability or tools to make your own look up on ebay for the log style Turbo manifold for a SOHC. With a Turbo a SOHC and a TurboDOHC theyare pretty much on a level playing field as far as power, after 215hp it doesn't matter how much power you have it just matters how you can plant it.

You can leave the SOHC stock, at 7-8psi a SOHC will make 215hp without an intercooler(says Hahn Racecraft) Thats not far off from a SRT-4 which was made forthe Turbo and the SRT-4 is even using a Intercooler. SRT-4 is like 225 Hp.

The Garrett T03 is nearly perfect for the 2.0, a T/3 T/4 hybridturbo is a bit big for the 2.0, has a little more lag then you would have with a t03. Now on the flip side you have a Garrett T03 which was designed to work on a 2.2 liter engine which is pretty much a perfect choice for the 2.0. I'm using the TE04 Mitsubishi Turbo which replaced the T03 on certain modelsbut it wasn't because the T03 wasn't good enough it was because the TE04 spooled faster, but a Garrett Turbo should make more overall power than the Mitsubishi and it should also have more highend power than the TE04.

With the proper wastegate actuator theGarrett T03 is capable of 25-28Psi of boost. Yes its pretty good for a stock turbo!

If you want you can PM me and I'll show you what I did to my car

Old 01-09-2008, 12:34 AM
Captansavaho
Captain

slash how hard would it be to modify the manifold? i have 2 garret turbos.. so if anyone is looking for one..both came from chrysler 2.2 lebarons. thanks for the help so far. as far as the bottom end kit and so on from modern...is the a better rebuild kit for the bottom end. for lower compression like I_Ride_Neon was saying earlier? and does the top matter as far as being rebuilt? thanks

Old 01-09-2008, 02:40 AM
Slashwannabe

I think its a waste of time unless the engine is allready out. If the engine was out I'd say build it up. But the stock Garretts 7psi will give yoursohc an instant 200hp stock without any mods to the engineother than the turbo itself. Now so far my turbo set up has been reliable and I've had italmost 3 months on a 130,000 mile motor. These engines arent too bad to come accross so I'd say if anything bad happensits not the end of the world.

I've heard around the 275-300hp mark the rods will stretch but 7psi of boost gives you about 200hp well under the stetch markso I don't think you should have any problems and long as you have ample fuel going to the engine. Some people recomend the 255lph Walbro but for me it made me run too rich and car ran like assso I went back to stock fuel pump and used a map clamp instead of the Missing link so I can adjust fuel mixture and that worked fine for me.

Its up to you if you want to try what I did but I'm not responsible if something happens to your engine because every engines owner has put it through different levels of abuse so I can't say yours will hold up like mine or not if you choose to stay with the stock fuel pump.

Old 01-09-2008, 12:28 PM
mmench
Captain

if yall remember the guy who used to post on here a while back ( maybe he still does idk) dazzler.... he made 260 hp at 8 psi i think it was on a sohc

Quick Reply: turbo question dont kill me