1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

help srt4 swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 11:30 AM
andybos1991
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help srt4 swap

im 16 and i have a 95 neon planing on swaping to a str 4 and a 5 speed trany im hopeing to buy it all all brand new is this a good idea or should i use used and i know ill need the engine trany wire harness and computer any other major things ill need?? any help would be good thanks

Old 01-21-2008, 12:03 PM
uta_flyinghigh
Default RE: help srt4 swap

No offense meant, but SRT-4 power when you just got your license is maybe a bad idea. If you want to have fun building up youcar I suggest swapping a 2.4, getting building/driving experience then move on to another Neon (1gen or 2gen) with SRT-4 power. Just my € 0.02.

UTA

Old 01-21-2008, 03:06 PM
Captansavaho
Captain

also to be 16 and have the money to do the swap. I have been saving money for the last 3 years to do everything i wanted to my neon but its going to be worth it....it does cost a pretty penny to do the swap..plus you will be out a car.. so better have an extra car you can drive around for awhile

Old 01-21-2008, 05:12 PM
fsu182
Captain

if you're going to buy an srt-4 engine and transmission new.... you may as well buy a used srt-4. to start with a 95 neon and have those kind of plans is well.... kind of... weird. lol. but if your car has some higher mileage and hasnt had a lot of work done - you're probably looking at spending some money on regular maintenance/misc early neon problem areas anyway.

i got an 03 neon when i was 16 with 6 miles on it. I smashed it into a guardrail in the rain at 15 mph. the car would not stop. it didnt have abs and i didnt have enough experience. Im now 20 andhave a 99 neon with 218,000 miles on it. things are different when you buy the car yourself too. if you want to do an srt4 swap, more power to you. there is a lot of information is these forums, and a couple guys who have done it successfully. its a lot of work, time, and money. especially in comparison to what you probably paid for your car to begin with.

https://dodgeforum.com/m_746808/tm.htm

or just search srt-4 swap

Old 01-22-2008, 09:39 AM
andybos1991

well ive grown up pretty much on a farm driveing a huge hay truck so i hve lots of experience driveing and im not worried about the money long as its not going to run me more than 10 grand plus im selling the engine and trany thats in when i pull it out and put the new ones in and me and my dad have dode engine swaps befor it took us3 days and thats with just 2 so i wont be out of a car that long and a srt 4 dosn't have that much power does it??

Old 01-22-2008, 10:21 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

an srt4 has good power, but nothing that cant be handled by a kid....as long as your responsible..

an srt4 swap isnt just a normal swap....even if you worked all day and all nite, you wouldnt get in done in anywhere near 2 days.....easiest way to do the swap would be to get a wrecked srt4 and just swap all the parts over that you will need...but if your wanting to buy everything new, then you would save tons and tons of money to just buy an srt4...

https://dodgeforum.com/m_746808/tm.htm

Old 01-22-2008, 02:38 PM
tranyinstaller
Professional

srt-4 is gonna get you about 230hp. and i will back up spud, buy a wriecked srt-4 and get everything you need.
Doing an engine swap in old school stuff like what ur dad or mine is used to doing is completely differant. my dad tried to talk me into doing the swap about a year ago and i told him he was nuts because i didnt have another car to drive. he said "no big deal we'll just do it on a weekend and you'll have your car back on monday" later that day i handed him a stack of papers explaining the full process it takes to do the swap and he changed his mind real quick. mind you that my dad and i are both professional mechanics, and work on cars like these on a daily basis and are very familiar with how they work. i honestly think you should just build up the engine you already have. buy another engine and build that one up.

Old 01-22-2008, 06:00 PM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

besides....for the price fo doing the srt4 swap, i had my motor fully built with the srt4 turbo and everything running 15psi all day long.....would have probally even wasted a stage 3 srt4 without breaking a sweat....too bad it wasnt around long enough to find out[&:]
light weight 1st gen neon + 350hp turbo motor = alot of fun...

Old 01-23-2008, 11:59 AM
andybos1991

i know what goes into a swap and my dad had to do it to our car wich was a 94 ford taurus with a 3.2 v6 and we had to go to a 3.0 v6 (we had the engine on hand already so we didnt want to spend money if we didnt have to) it took us 3 days and we hade to change out the wire harness and compupterand a couple other thingsand im prety sure that going from a 3.2 to a 3.0 is somewhat like going from a 2.0 to a 2.4 only reverse and im planing on keeping this car for awhile and want to have something nice but not put alot of money into a engine thats already half dead and i want to be able to sell the engine once i take it out not just trash it and i didn't spend that much on this car so why not fix it up pluse im a hourse power type of person and if i had the money to own the car of my dreams i would own it wich is a 1969 dodge charger R/T but if the thing were to brake down it would cost alot to fix and the gas milege would probably be bad

Old 01-23-2008, 02:06 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

This is more difficult than a swap to a motor that was offered in a car You have to do certain fabrications, electrical work, you have to rip apart the dash and install the SRT-4 gauges, not a simple task my friend. Listen to spud, he knows his stuff.

Quick Reply: help srt4 swap