1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

PLEASE HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 05:04 PM
Dagenhamgeoff
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLEASE HELP!!!!

Ok I`ve wrote up here before with a few problems and most have been sorted with the help f you guys, most of you know more than the so called mech-heads, folks like spud, das, 12volt etc etc.you know who they are...anywyas.a little background on my problems....got a Neon 98 ATX GLX, drove lovely til one day it kinda died, crank sensor was replaced (eventually) and all was good, for a while, no spark, no fuel etc, things I`ve done so far...
replaced cracksensor, tested all other sensors, replaced coil pack, wires, plugs and new battery, new battery cables and clamps replaced air and oil filter, oil flushed (changed)

Everything was going good once i chnaged the batery, had to change a ground as well as it was bad and for some reason throwing code 11, sorted that......then once started the revs would idle roughly, jump about wildly and eventually die.would start up again but a bit harder each time..........today I went to start the car and got that annoying click click click.tested the battery.......11v!!!!....so now I`m thinking the battery isnt getting charged by alternator...........the belt does squeal like mad when the car did start, put that down to damp in the air but now i`m kinda thiknking could the alternator be dead an d all the stalling issues i had and the jumping revs and speedo be due to the alternater going bad and draining the battery.....the previous battery ended up with a dead cell after jumping it too many times..........so basically all i won`t to know is........am I right in thinking the alternator is shot...........we don`t have anything like autozone over here in the UK..just backstreet garages that always shake their heads and stroke their fat guts..

Also, I think I`m dumb but, when i take the key out of the ignition a can still hit the brake pedal and the all the exterior lights will work.is this normal...........

Thanks again to all you guys, you`ve saved this old disabled guy some money in the past so thanks heaps

Geoff

Old 02-14-2008, 09:39 PM
dtjackten
2nd gen neon peace keeper
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: PLEASE HELP!!!!

ok, here will be a start... first do u have a sterio system or ANY aftermarket electrical things installed??? i know that may sound like a dumb question but it is kinda important before going and spending money on a new alternater.... if u do check those things, or even disconect them to see if they r draining ur battery.....

if u do not have anything installed like security alarms, sterio systems, ext. then are the lights dimming when u r diriving the car. headlights interoir lights??? if so prolly ur alternator... i would also check ur pigtail going to ur voltage regulator, i have hurd of them going bad alot like the coilpacks, check for courosion around the positive lead and pigtail also... it could cause a poor contection... if all these check out i would then have to say that it COULD be ur alternator....

good luck and keep us informed, and feel free to ask questions, the only dumb ones r the ones that do NOT aske questions