1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Something very bad just happened...

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 02:12 AM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Something very bad just happened...

so there I was on or local main street and I saw a friend up ahead so I rapped out 2nd gear to catch up with him right before I shifted to 3rd I heard what sounded like a big rock hitting the bottom of my car... dident think anything of it and continued till we got to a local lot that we all hang out at....

got out left the car running for about 40 mins while we talked when I looked over and saw a big puddle under my car... went over and threw my fingers in it and it was oil.... I got in the car backed it up looked under the car and it leaking oil like a faucet... I 3 wheeled it up on a curb and it looks like its coming from the bottom of the oil filter but I'm not sure... cant get it up till tomorrow when i can clean the garage up from tearing down the dohc...

I've heard storys of the oil filter getting wacked off (ha ha) from hitting something... but I was more looking at my friends car when I heard the bang....

What else could it be other then the oil filter....

God im pissed...

Old 02-13-2008, 04:16 AM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker
Default RE: Something very bad just happened...

Well I can call off the alarm... I was so upset about what happened to my car that I cleaned up the dohc that was torn apart all over my garage swept it out layed cardboard down really quick got it up. And noticed that there wasent any oil on the side of the filter, so I got some paper towels wiped off the bottom of the filter and low and behold a pinsize hole in the oil filter leaked like hell just pulling it into the garage but slow when car is off... thank god...

Old 02-13-2008, 09:20 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what kind of oil filter was it????

Old 02-13-2008, 10:02 AM
Slashwannabe

Don't quote me but My Fram Filter I believe is the PH3682, it doesn't go below the bottum of theoilpan and the oil pan would appear as if it would get smashed before the filter does.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:15 AM
Spawne32
Professional

FRAM filters are such junk, dont use them, i have heard countless cases of where the filter either blows out or the filter element comes loose and gets pushed into the engine itself. I use only purolator.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:22 AM
Slashwannabe

ORIGINAL: Spawne32

FRAM filters are such junk, dont use them, i have heard countless cases of where the filter either blows out or the filter element comes loose and gets pushed into the engine itself. I use only purolator.
I've been using Fram for years and never had one case of that. My Family has been using Fram for much longer with no ill problems.

I have nothing against Purolator but I have never had a problem with Fram and I never trust stories from other people. Fram is name brand if they were as bad as you say, millions of people would certainly protest.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:39 PM
boxerjl2
Record Breaker

i agree with what slash says cuz if there were alot of problems with it why would so many people still be buying them.. i havnt been driving for very long but fram is the only filter i ever gotten for my car.. cuz its the cheepest and ive never heard any problems with it.. but i think for my 2.4 i'll get a more exspensive filter cuz i want to take care of that engine make sure it runs ausome

Old 02-13-2008, 01:08 PM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker

it was a fram that walmart installed.... lol

Old 02-13-2008, 02:43 PM
United1
Professional

Here is a great independant study of oil filters. The first link goes into a lot of detail, the second is a summary. I don't think you will see many catastrophic failures with Fram, but long term damage is not out of the question. You cannot be assured of an items quality just becauseyou don't see"millions of people protest".

http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfi...lterstudy.html
http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfi...ilfilters.html

Old 02-13-2008, 04:45 PM
Slashwannabe

That site has some interesting information but it is a little out of date. It doesn't list Frams new filters with the tri strand technology and the sure grip rough paint on the bottum of the filter.

really a filter is only designed to go 3,000 miles, and I have about 5,000 miles on my car since I did my own oil change using the Fram Wal Mart cheapo a few months back, I personally don't see anything going wrong with them during that period but after reading that article I might think twice before buying another Framfilter due to my lazness in doing oil changes, probably should go with one with a higher mark.

Not only that my motor likes to do its own oil change, so I just add a quart every 2 months. Guess I'll have to change that Valve Cover gasket soon..... $30 is so gay I'm just gonna permatex the fkr!.

Quick Reply: Something very bad just happened...