1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

crankshaft sensor

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008 | 02:41 PM
tranyinstaller
Professional
Default RE: crankshaft sensor

their probably telling him they have to drop the pan to get the sensor out because he's broke off most of it and there isnt much to get ahold on. if you go in, from inside ofthe pan, you can crank the engine over until the sensor and the pickup are close to each other and use a screw driver to pry the sensor out, from the inside. actually makes sence if he's thrashed the sensor bad enough.
So far as dodge being the only one you know of using a crank sensor. your smoking crack. maybe other companies dont use a crank sensor in paticular. however what you really need to think about is, why. dodge uses a crank sensor and a cam sensor to judge timing. since the timing on these cars are distributor-less they have to have a sensor to determan when to spark. so instead of just using a cam sensor and risking bent valves in the off-chance that a stupid sensor goes out, they use 2 sensors. that way if one goes out youve got a backup, and having a backup means not having a blown up engine. im all for the crank sensor. im sorry your having problems with it, but it serves a good purpose and im happy its there.

Old 02-21-2008 | 03:12 PM
12 volt
Record Breaker

risking bent valvesin the off-chance that a stupid sensor goes out
i agree with you comment but not the part about the bent valves

Old 02-21-2008 | 08:12 PM
tranyinstaller
Professional

yah i was thinking about that later, and i was totaly off on that. sorry its been a VERY long day [&:]

Old 02-21-2008 | 11:34 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

Well mine when out in my 96 neon and i got it off no problem. You work in a shop and never change one? I find that hard to believe. I knew about them way before mine went out. And i am not a mechanic.

Quick Reply: crankshaft sensor