will the 2.2 exhaust manifold fit

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 07:28 PM
neonracer1010
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will the 2.2 exhaust manifold fit

turbo manifolds fit our heads?
im pretty sure the heads interchange but what about the exhaust manifold?

Old 02-20-2008, 04:44 AM
Slashwannabe
Default RE: will the 2.2 exhaust manifold fit

Look at this pic and tell me?

The Picture above is from a modded twin turbo application for a 2.2 Chrysler, but the mounting flange is obviously what astock 2.2 flange would look like.

I do know of someone who has done the Neon head swap on the 2.2 Chrysler bottum end but as to the details of it I'm unsure.

The exhuast manifold mounting flangeas you can tell on the pic above has a totally different shape and mounting place than the 2.0 DOHC and SOHC engines, you are better off doing what I've done and mod your stock exhaust manifold for turbo use, if your handy with a welder and equiped with a chop saw and a assortment of drills,dremels and a cutting torchits not too bad to do. I had the luxery of my brother using his mill to make the turbomounting bracket but you can make one almost as good with a chop saw and cutting torch and dremel drill to polish and clean any flash or slag off later if you do not have a mill or access to one.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:21 AM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

All neons heads will bolt up to a 2.2L / 2.5L block. Oil and coolant passages differ though.

You could just look on the various boards for a turbo manifold. Most are going for about $100 - $150.

Old 02-24-2008, 11:18 PM
Slashwannabe

It might be possible to cut the 2.2 flange off and just buy a sohc flange and weld it on.

I have seen a few of the 2.2 Engines with Neon heads, not sure of the details on the swap but I do know for a fact the the Neon block was machined on the same line the 2.2 was to save costs so I'd bet that alot of the bottum end parts would be the same. the 2.2 and 2.0 Neon Engine use the same bore.

The question is could you use a 2.5 Turbo crank in the Neon block? or just use a 2.5 bottum end That would so pwn the 2.4 Stratus swap! The 2.5 and 2.2 engines were bullit proof. There are websitesout there with 2.2turbo drag carsthat claim 28psi on a stock 2.2 Engine!

Old 02-25-2008, 01:27 AM
98_neon_rt_racer_200
Default RE: could a use a srt-4 turbo manifold on my 98 R/T

i have a turbo laying around out of a talon thought i would throw it in my r/t but i can find a manifold will one off a srt-4 bolt up

Old 02-25-2008, 04:38 AM
Slashwannabe
Default RE: could a use a srt-4 turbo manifold on my 98 R/T

ORIGINAL: 98_neon_rt_racer_200

i have a turbo laying around out of a talon thought i would throw it in my r/t but i can find a manifold will one off a srt-4 bolt up
The SRT-4 manifold will fit but you wont be able to use your turbo since the SRT-4 manifold is a combined turbo/manifold it has the exhaust turbine built in, the compressor part isn't but I'd recomend using your turbo and buying the ebay manifold.

Ebay has DOHCmanifolds for $150like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-99...spagenameZWDVW

Good deal brand new.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:01 AM
neonracer1010
All Star

ORIGINAL: Slashwannabe

It might be possible to cut the 2.2 flange off and just buy a sohc flange and weld it on.

I have seen a few of the 2.2 Engines with Neon heads, not sure of the details on the swap but I do know for a fact the the Neon block was machined on the same line the 2.2 was to save costs so I'd bet that alot of the bottum end parts would be the same. the 2.2 and 2.0 Neon Engine use the same bore.

The question is could you use a 2.5 Turbo crank in the Neon block? or just use a 2.5 bottum end That would so pwn the 2.4 Stratus swap! The 2.5 and 2.2 engines were bullit proof. There are websitesout there with 2.2turbo drag carsthat claim 28psi on a stock 2.2 Engine!
my buddys 87 shelby z is runnin 32psi! its fast! he's got a turbo 3 car thats runnin 27 tooo!
o and the bottom endss arnt bullit proof, pistons will melt around 35 psi ish. lmfao

Old 02-25-2008, 08:27 AM
Slashwannabe

ORIGINAL: neonracer1010

my buddys 87 shelby z is runnin 32psi! its fast! he's got a turbo 3 car thats runnin 27 tooo!
o and the bottom endss arnt bullit proof, pistons will melt around 35 psi ish. lmfao
Exactly my point 35psi

Most cars **** themselves after 16psi. Even built cars don't like 25+ psi. The only 2.2 Turbo motor I've ever seen destroyed in my entire lifewas my brothers old Chrysler New Yorker when he first bought it, He got it from some Asian Hmongs who didn't know how to read the oil dipstick cuz it was in english and they didn't know english so they never filled the oil or checked it in the 5 years they owned itso the motor shot a rod out through the block after 5 years of hauling 10 kids to the Ginsing Farm everyday. When my brother bought it and took the motor apart he found there was less than a quarter inch of oil in the pan. (spit... spit... theres your problem!) The reason it lost oil was a because the turbo bearing and sealswent out and it lost oil through the exhuast.

Pretty funny the only thing I've ever seen take a 2.2 down was a bad turbo bearing and seal.

My family has had like 5 or 6 chrysler2.2 cars andone 2.5 turbo equiped car and at least 3 of those cars drove themselves to the junk yard. Pretty much the suspensions rusted out from the cars and they were barely driveable, but the motors always ran and started on the first click of the ignition, plus you could get 500miles out of a tank.

I can say without any debate that the Chrysler 2.2 turbo is the most durable 4 cylinder ever made by any standards or conditions and quite possibly the most durable engine ever made next to the Chrysler Hemi engines and I only say the 50s hemi's cuz they were built like a fkn tank and they were put through a million mile test from engineers who cared about what they produced and unlike nowdaysdidn't want to throw any old cheap thing out for sale, back in the 50s and 60s they were battle tested and race proven. They used to pull the 50's hemi engines out of the new cars and throw 8-71 blowers on them andrun nitro methane on a stock engine and go run7's and 8s in the quarter mile.

I have not seen one of these 2.2motors go down for a reason due to mechanical failure due to the motor itself just human error as to not checking fluids and doing regular checks.

Quick Reply: will the 2.2 exhaust manifold fit