Old 03-06-2008, 01:03 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: ya think i can do it???

its done....
ended up taking about 5 hours....im so pissed....[:@]

but i ran into a few complications in the process:
had to take off the old motors oil pan so i could get the oil pickup tube to put on the new motor..
had a hell of a time getting the big *** cherry picked to work right....
and it started snowing....i had to have my garage door open to get the motors in and out since the hoist is so damn big...
and i hod to redo the whole wiring harness since i was using injectors from a 95, alternator from a 95, and everything else was from a 98

i wont bother wasting the time to explain all the little crap that screwed up my time...(people stopping by to talk and what not)

if i would have had the new motor all together and only had to pull the old motor straight out and drop the new one in then it would have only taken about 2 hours....

anyways....
its only a matter of time until i have to put another motor in this car or one of my other neons so i will have to try for a better time next go around[&:]

atleast the motor sounds really good, idles smooth, and is pretty quick....i cant wait til i can get on it a bit after the break in period

Old 03-06-2008, 02:09 AM
Slashwannabe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: spudsterier

its done....
alternator from a 95, and everything else was from a 98

Lol just like me.... I'm using a 95 Alternator as well, I had a parts 95 and was pissed when I threw it on my 98and tried to connect the harness and noticed it was different than my 98! I didn't have time to waste so I just modded the harness and I forgot to zip tie it up and 2 months later the cable fell down and was riding on the axle cuz it was pretty long and kept grounding out on the axle soI kept blowing my 20amp fuel pump/ignition fuse and it took me a bit to figure out it was the alternator cable riding on the axle that gave me problems. Now I have it zip tied and shrink wrapped...lol

I can throw a transmission in pretty fast, on my first try doing a transmission on a front wheel drive car (my Neon this past October) it took me like an hour and 10 minutes to throw it in once I got the prothane mounts stuffed into the frame on the drivers side. I think the most time consuming part was the starter bolts because it was hard to turn a ratchet with my hands being bigger than the area...lol My car actually fell off one ofthe jack stands on the drivers side when I was forcing the transmission prothane mount into the framebut lucky I was paranoid and threw my tires under the rocker panels under the doors and it held the car up.

I must admit it took me about 3 and a halfhours to take it out just cuz I had to figure out how everything went. I would much rather take the transmission out than do the timing belt again. I dislike the belttensioner deal,removing thecam sprocketand the jacking the motor up and down to do the side mount. Such a bitch to do that with a ****ty jack!

Old 03-06-2008, 09:42 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it isnt too bad....
i have to put a new auto tranny in my wifes car when it gets a bit nicer out since her car slips a little when shifting from 1st to 2nd....and the kick down is locked up on the tranny....
shouldnt take too much time to do...but its not nearly as easy as replacing the tranny in a MTX....

i love taking the motors and trannys out of these cars....its actually relaxing for me...
i was wanting to wait until this weekend to put the motor in, but with the way everything has been going lately i needed to get rid of some stress