1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

might have sucked up water...motor very loud

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 09:14 PM
justinsanders
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default might have sucked up water...motor very loud

first off it has been pourin rain all night i was cruzin at about 3000 rpms and doin about 75mph down the interstate tonighti have a 3.0 homemade intake and and i noticed that my exhaust/motor sounded really deep. so i put in neutral and reved up high and it sounded like it was open header. it was very loud and crackled when the rpms returned to idle. i never let the car return to idle until i got home then i let it idle for about 10 mins and came back and it sounded normal and i shut it off. im assuming everything will be ok since it ran perfectly fine other than it being so loud and deep. it sounded pretty good but i wanna kno if it will be ok.

Old 03-07-2008, 01:40 AM
vipersforsale
Record Breaker
Default RE: might have sucked up water...motor very loud

well... if you sucked up any water, it must have not been enough to make a difference. Usually if it was too much you end up with a hole in the side of the block(where the rod pokes through it). My ex-wife did that to a 1996 highline that I bought new for her. She was off driving around in deep water for some reason and the motor decided it liked water more than air and then BAM... next thing I knew I was being called out to rescue the car from the floodwaters. That was the second car she killed... so far she is up to 4 cars destroyed. Glad she is my ex, now she has a new man to buy her cars for her!

Old 03-07-2008, 04:06 AM
pimpberetta
Veteran

First off, a car will sound different at the same rpm with out a load on versus without a load.

To the point, the only way water could really hurt your engine was if you submerged your air filter in water and in which case it would have no other option then to ingest water and that would probably result in a hydrolock. You probably just have some water floating around in your intake system and it is just finding its way through your engine making it run a bit rough. I wouldn't worry about it as it is probably burning some carbon out of your combustion cambers as it goes through. Drive it for a little while and it will return to normal.

Old 03-07-2008, 06:02 AM
Slashwannabe

As long as the car didn't make the same sound yourlips would make in between a strippers ***** (think motor boat) then I think you'll be all right.

I really dislike the Cold Air Intakes that come fron under the car, cuz it acts like a straw when you hit water. I think its worth it to have the top mounted air cleaner/tube just because even ifyou lose 1 or 2hpat least youdon't have to worry about sucking up water.

I was very impressed with the gains I got from stock just by getting rid of the stock set up and modding a 95 Neon intake tube to autozones huge $20 Spectre rewashable Conefilter which sat right next to the brake cylinder. Now I run a turbo so I don't really need a cold air intake.

Old 03-07-2008, 03:26 PM
justinsanders
Captain

yea but it sounded extremely loud what would cause it to get that loud

Old 03-08-2008, 02:56 AM
Slashwannabe

What type of air cleaner are you using? Maybe it shriveled yer air cleaner if its paper and your getting a louder sound cuz its open or torn.

Check your air cleaner and intake and see if it moved or broke.

Quick Reply: might have sucked up water...motor very loud