1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

2.0 dohc swap!?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 11:32 PM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2.0 dohc swap!?!

The mitsu is a TD04, smaller than the T3. The boost has a smoother transisition than the more abrupt boost engagement of the garrett. That is why the lower models got the mitsu and the shelby model got the T03 and TB03. The mitsu is not recommended for performance:

www.thedodgegarage.com

For performance use I cannot recommend a stock Mitsubishi turbo AT ALL! It has a much smaller compressor, the shaft bearings are a third the size of a Garretts and the exhaust housing is a major restriction! The backpressure at high boost levels must be obscene, the picture above shows the difference in exhaust housing passage sizes. The mitsu's is about the size of ONE 2.2 exhaust port!

Old 03-22-2008, 12:43 AM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Slashwannabe

[First off me and my family have owned more Turbo K-Cars than you ever knew existed
Not likely, but you think that if it makes you feel good. BYW, owning a car does not mean you know everything about it.

The 2.5 Turbo will wax the fk out of a 2.2 in stock for stock form. 150hp and 210ft lbs of Torque 2.5 vs the 2.2s 140hp and 180ft lbs of Torque. My Mitsubishi TE04H starts spooling the moment you even think about touching the gas let alone getting into the drivers seat, and you can't debate that because its a small fkn turbo its compressor wheel is like 2/3s the size of the Garrett and if this thing can't spool faster than a Garrett with having less than half the compressor size theres a huge problem. I've always said a Garrett Turbo can produce up to 28-30psi and in some cases 33psi was the highest I've heard. Why the f u ck would I care if a Garrett can go up to 28+ psi when by the time I would hit 16psi consistantly with my mitsu turbo my stock SOHC rods are gonna shoot out of the block? I also wouldn't say the 2.5 had no top end, it was the first Chrysler K-Car me and my brother got up to 120mph in, it didn't think twice about getting up to 120mph from 65mph and it did it fkn fast too.
Max boost number levels mean nothing. Torque is where it is at. HP a close second. Why do you bring up the "max 33psi" numbers of a Garrett only to say you do not care?! Thanks for the waste of time. Just because a turbo can be pushed that high does not mean it should be done. In fact, it should not be pushed that high, as it is way out its effeciency range. Like revving a stock neons to 8k.Just making noise.

I'm sorry I can't allow you to say a Garrett spools as fast a Mitsubishi Turbo, spooling extremly fast is how the mitsu turbo got its reputation and replaced the Garrett in 89-93 Turbo cars. In the long run the Garrett T03 is the better choice but only if you have mods on your motor to support 20+ psi.
So who says you have to run 20 psi when using a garrett turbo? Is this law? And for your comments that a mitsu spools faster, it was DESIGNED TO! But you knew that, with all the turbo k-cars you have owned. it comes into boost faster, along with the ridiculous stroke of the 2.5L, sure it "felt" fast. I DARE you to line up a stock turbo 2.5 with me. Waste of my gas really.

The Mitsubishi Turbo up to 20psi is gonna blow your mind theres no lag you don't even know theres a turbo on the car except you hear a whistleing noise.
Not likley. My friends 98 supra blew my mind at 18 psi. You might get my attention...might.

It maxes out around 19psi and I've personally had mine up to 16psi but it was an accident and only lasted a brief second once I realised the boost gauge said 16psi I instanty let off and then prayed to God I didn't blow my motor off a freak accident. The TE04 sucks becasue it doesn't go up past 19-20psi but under that it is leaps and bounds faster on spooling than a Garrett. Its not even the fact that either company fkd up on design because they didn't its just a matter of what you plan to do as far as making power with your car, both are great Turbos and are the only thing I'd consider putting on my Neon due to the reputation and durability.

The Garrett is known for really smooth power and the mitsu is just crazy up to 19psi.
Dyno charts and/or track times. Put your money where your mouth is. And yo uhave it backwards. The mitsu has the smoother power transition between no boost and being in boost.

As for the DOHC being more expensive to build... yes it is just because your buying 2 cams instead of 1 $250 difference, and it doesn't matter what grind of cams your buying Crane Cams is pretty much all the same price. I doubt you'll get 2 DOHC cams for the price of 1 SOHC cam, And also if you want to be able to adjust the cams on your DOHC you'll need the $100 timing gears, which is pointless for most of the people on this forum seeing none of them probably know how to time a motor or use Megasquirt to get full advantage out of it. Other than buying an extra cam and adjustable timing gears for the DOHC, the motors are basically pretty much the same to build up.
Is that your only argument is the cams? Tell me, what cam is in your car now? Seeing as sohc cams are so cheap, you must have one by now, right? Now that money is getting better for me, I am looking to get some cams pretty soon. Nothing "big;" just some #10, but certainly wanting #18 for my turbo car. $100 for two cam gears is a great price, seeing as some are still almost $300 new. Of course mine were $40.

You got a Mopar DOHC PCM for free? well why not post what most people can get it for? which is $200. You know I say I got my turbo set up for $150 but I don't go around telling other people they are going to get it for $150, all the time you see me recomending the $500 Ebay kit cuz its a compiled price of the parts and is a very good price and a price for which the stuff goes normally. I was very lucky getting my parts for cheap and if I didn't get them at near 5 fingered rates from Rice guys who are getting into drifting Civics then I would have bought the $500 Kit that appears every now and then on Ebay.
A sohc can use a mopar dohc pcm. My friend is doing it. Sohc's are not as alienated as you make them out to be.

Your build as well as my turbo build are the exceptions to the rule but at the same time I don't go telling everybody they can get a Turbo set up with everything there is to complete it for $150, I recomend stuff thats in the normal price range. Everybody would have a Turbo if they gathered parts as easily and had as much luck as me but thats not going to happen for everybody.
These are not hard accomplishments really. Anyone can do what i am doing. The parts on my neon are worth far more than the car, and were found for dirt cheap while trolling the yard. Takes patience and determination. I still need the right pistons, but my car is fun fo a dohc with stock cams. Again, federal law does not require you to buy brand new crane #18 casm for $500 when you swap to a dohc. Cams at the yard are $30 each here. Scored a 2.7L valve train for $10 (almost 250 new), intake manifold for $30, valve cover for $10...bottom line, the parts are cheaper, and the outcome is greater than that of a sohc. In fact, if i come across another magnum head, I'll build one up. The baseline sohc head is too poor to warrant spending any time or money on IMHO. Flows like a shut door. The dohc flows better from the start.

Pardon my delayed response. Needed a beer before getting into this post.

Old 05-08-2008, 01:21 AM
Skyelight22

When it comes to spool time it varies my srt-4 hits it a 1500rpms.

Old 05-08-2008, 01:52 AM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker

why in the hell was this pulled back from the dead... it was a slash rant post anyways...

Old 05-09-2008, 09:49 AM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

Late night posting. It happens.

Quick Reply: 2.0 dohc swap!?!