1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

2.0 dohc swap!?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 11:13 PM
speedyassstealth
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.0 dohc swap!?!

hey i was needing help swapping to a dohc head. i got a sohc 2.0. what all is needed to swap to the dohc? can anyone help me?

Old 03-11-2008, 12:20 AM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker
Default RE: 2.0 dohc swap!?!

need the head, timing componants, pcm, wiring harness or mod the sohc... dohc cam sensor. thats about it...

also just a fyi...

SOHC pistons with a DOHC head=9.3:1
DOHC pistons with a DOHC head=9.6:1
SOHC pistons with a SOHC head=9.8:1
DOHC pistons with a SOHC head=10.3:1

Old 03-11-2008, 12:43 AM
speedyassstealth

is it woth the trouble?

Old 03-11-2008, 12:49 AM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker

yes it is but im sure slash will show up and say that sohc is better..

just remember that your compression is going to go to hell... witch may not make it worth it...

Old 03-11-2008, 12:54 AM
speedyassstealth

ok thats what i was wondering about someone said that swapping to that would hurt in compression. my question what would i really gain from this change.(other then crappy compression) does the hp gain or anything else make it better enough to do this?

Old 03-11-2008, 03:09 AM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker

to be honest with you you will probally come out with about the same hp as the sohc... only a dyno can tell... but hey it will be boost happy and safer if you plan on turboing the stock block...

Old 03-11-2008, 03:15 AM
speedyassstealth

ok looking at the compressions would it be safe to say that going withDOHC pistons with a SOHC head would be a good idea?

Old 03-11-2008, 03:58 AM
Slashwannabe

ORIGINAL: speedyassstealth

ok looking at the compressions would it be safe to say that going withDOHC pistons with a SOHC head would be a good idea?
Yep 95-96transplant u guessed it I'm here to shoot down theoverrated DOHC!

You'd gain more performance using a DOHC Automatic or DOHC manualtranny with your SOHC than putting a DOHC head on your SOHC block. The DOHC has lower gears.

Plus SOHC and DOHC motors are less than 2-3 wheelHorsepower on the dyno and dead even on torque. Lets not forget you have to wind the DOHC up to 6500 RPM to get that 2-3hp advantage, below 6,000 Rpm the SOHC is KING.

Using a SOHC headon the DOHC block will give you about 10-1 Compression. Basically you swap the SOHC head onto the DOHC motor and trans you'll smack up any DOHC car. I don't give a **** how much people say a DOHC can be built up to,as I've said before the fastest Neonsin the world both are 8 second 1/4mileDOHC and SOHC cars, so people who saythe DOHC has more potential thing is pretty gay drop it!. Either motor you choose to build up will be good but stock for stock partsthe SOHC eats the DOHC when usingthe DOHC gears, the SOHC has a fuller powerband and more torque where you need it.

The SOHC gets a bad rap cuz Chrysler decided it should use economy gears and since the DOHC was the performance option it got the nice low gearing. Because of this that is why people think SOHC are slow, the SOHC would get all the fame if DOHC cars used SOHC gears.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:51 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Slashwannabe

ORIGINAL: speedyassstealth

Yep 95-96transplant u guessed it I'm here to shoot down theoverrated DOHC!

You'd gain more performance using a DOHC Automatic or DOHC manualtranny with your SOHC than putting a DOHC head on your SOHC block. The DOHC has lower gears.

Plus SOHC and DOHC motors are less than 2-3 wheelHorsepower on the dyno and dead even on torque. Lets not forget you have to wind the DOHC up to 6500 RPM to get that 2-3hp advantage, below 6,000 Rpm the SOHC is KING.

Using a SOHC headon the DOHC block will give you about 10-1 Compression. Basically you swap the SOHC head onto the DOHC motor and trans you'll smack up any DOHC car. I don't give a **** how much people say a DOHC can be built up to,as I've said before the fastest Neonsin the world both are 8 second 1/4mileDOHC and SOHC cars, so people who saythe DOHC has more potential thing is pretty gay drop it!. Either motor you choose to build up will be good but stock for stock partsthe SOHC eats the DOHC when usingthe DOHC gears, the SOHC has a fuller powerband and more torque where you need it.

The SOHC gets a bad rap cuz Chrysler decided it should use economy gears and since the DOHC was the performance option it got the nice low gearing. Because of this that is why people think SOHC are slow, the SOHC would get all the fame if DOHC cars used SOHC gears.
am i the only one thats getting tired of hearing all this**** over and over again????

if the sohc is "king" under 6,000rpm's then why is it that with my old stock r/t with sohc tranny, i could still waste stock sohc's?????

unless you plan on putting a turbo on your car, it would be a waste of time and money to throw a dohc head on your sohc block...

Old 03-11-2008, 11:31 AM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^Bingo!!!

Quick Reply: 2.0 dohc swap!?!