1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Finally! Turbo Pics of my "Complete" setup!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 07:39 AM
Slashwannabe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Finally! Turbo Pics of my "Complete" setup!

ORIGINAL: I_Ride_Neon

Would i see any benefit from using the ngks? I have an intercooler. What part number are they?
NGK BKR7E is the cold plugs I usethere a little bit cooler than stock(stock ones are BKR6E) the 7 is the colder plug and its good for 75-100hp increase these are universal plugs between DOHC and SOHC Engines. Just by switching to the BKR7E this will drop cylinder heat like 60-100 degrees Celsius. Each Plug range you drop will drop cylinder temp that much.

BKR6E hot
BKR7E Cold
BKR8E colder

If you are still pinging then the BKR8E is the next option. Alot of the Honda Civic Ricer Guys run the same exact plug part # as us Neon guys dowith nitrous and Turbos.

Alot of the Guys who run turbos keep stock plugs in the motor and run 14psi and then blame the fuel system for their motor being a grenade. Colder plugs will significantly drop cylinder temp and lessen the chance of pinging if not eliminate.

Old 03-15-2008, 11:29 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

Should I just get the 8e because its the coldest? Or would that be a bad idea. I am not pinging. But i would rather be safe then sorry.

Old 03-15-2008, 11:42 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

http://www.clubrsx.com/cr/NGK-BKR8EIX.html Will those work?

Old 03-15-2008, 11:53 PM
j_son600
Veteran

Looks good, I hope to have this setup on the wifes 97 soon after I finish rebuilding the engine. Is your air filter clamped on the turbine housing?

Old 03-16-2008, 01:49 AM
Slashwannabe

ORIGINAL: j_son600

Looks good, I hope to have this setup on the wifes 97 soon after I finish rebuilding the engine. Is your air filter clamped on the turbine housing?
Yeah, I got one of those small 4 inch wideAutozone filters attached direct to the turbo inlet,but I might eventually put my brand new spectre cone filter on when I find incentive to mod **** again...lol I'm really burnt out from modding **** this week. I planned this turbo setup rebuild perfectly but ran into unexpected problems and had to wing half the **** on the spot.

My map clamp **** out on me today so I did a limp home method I didn't think would work but works about 80% good. OBD-2 scanner said it was out of range which it never said before so.... I ordered a missing link today and it will be hereTuesday, enough with that map clamp ****.

I had an extra Map/IATsensor in my trunk (infact I had 4 in my trunk from a junk yard run a year ago) so what I did when my map clamp **** out was I uncapped the little vacuum cap off the brake booster thenleft my original IAT/Map sensor pluged in the motor and I hooked a3-4ft vacuum line to the end of the 2ndmap/iat sensor and plugged that into the factory harnessso that the map sensor see's vacuum instead of boost. So far its working great with the exception of a little burp once in a while in between gear shifts andfrom the set up not being perfect but its a good limp home method and could possibly be perfected by a person with more knowledge than me for a ghetto missing link.

I'm very impressed with the power this turbo/manifold set up is giving me and Ebays extruded Aluminum $15 boost controller kicks ***.

I'll post a pic in the morning ofthe modded map/iat,I'm dead tired right now.

oh, I Ride_Neon, the BKR7E's are the ones you want, you only want to go one-2 heat ranges colder for every 80-100 Horsepower you make and more than that you run the risk of fouling plugs. I'd say the BKR7E's are good enough for a 7-8 psi application but only if you have problems run 8's.

Old 03-16-2008, 02:34 AM
j_son600
Veteran

So do you ever plan to go intercooled or are you happy with the way it is?

Old 03-16-2008, 12:09 PM
Slashwannabe

Here's a pic of my engine bay with my boost controller hooked up. And my half *** boost blinder (temporarily till missing link comes Wednesday).

Old 03-16-2008, 06:21 PM
dtjackten
2nd gen neon peace keeper

cool looks good slash.... keep it up, i worked on building my ms today but i ran into a few problems... well questions more than problems i guess. lol

Old 03-16-2008, 08:14 PM
Slashwannabe

My motor almost became a grenade today...lol

I was fkn' with myintake tubesealingthe breather off (cuz its2factory intake tubes that I modded) and I kept my boost controller set for what was 7psi before the intake was sealed and was I taken for a ride!

So I start off and floor it from a dead stop and roach my fkn tires really good boost gauge was still at 5psi then once I caught traction the boost gauge instantly went up to 15psi and car fkn launched forward and almost gave me whiplash and lucky I was looking atthe boost gauge instead of the road and I let off as soon as I seen the spike. Motor still runs good and no knocking so I think I dodged a bullit. Needless to say I turned the boost down

I never had that happen before with the old turbo manifold, this fkn tube style manifold breaths very well at high RPMs. Now I knowexactly whattheymean when they saythese Mitsubishi Turbos spool fast. That fkr was like a rocket once it caught traction.

Old 03-17-2008, 02:07 AM
VegasMagnum

lets say im trying to piece together up a turbo kit... my homie has a 96 talon esi... with a boosted 420a... he just ordered a tubular manifold for a bigger turbo he just got... what im trying to get at is will the manifold work for the neon and if it does would it fit the sohc or dohc this is what he has on there right now http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-99...spagenameZWDVW

Quick Reply: Finally! Turbo Pics of my "Complete" setup!