1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Finally! Turbo Pics of my "Complete" setup!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 06:49 AM
Slashwannabe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Finally! Turbo Pics of my "Complete" setup!

Don't even mess with adaptors or the DOHC manifold if you have a SOHC.

You'll want all the room behind your motor as you can get and any little adaptor will fk the room up.

Due to thevolume of people who ask me aboutputting a Turbo on their car,I'd write a colum on how I did my Turbo set up but theModerators don't like the fact I used alot of used parts and they question my methods even though my car runs excellent.

First thing you gota ask yourself is how much boost do you want to run? How fast do you want to make your car?

a 12 second Performer is easiliy achievable on 8psi of boost, but you'll need supporting mods such asa performanceCamshaft, head porting, 60mm Throttlebody and intercooler. Also to make it easier to get 12s you'll need slicks and your trunk cleaned out.

If you want alow 14- mid13 second car just throw8psi at the stockmotorand get someslicks.

If you are doing what I did by just throwing 8psi at a stock motor with virtuallyno fuel managment I suggest getting colder spark plugs to drop the cylinder temp and run mid grade fuel.

Keep in mind I've been running mine this way for 5 months and just because mine hasn't blown updoesn't mean you'll have the same success as me either, but if you want to try it I am not responsible I'll tell you how to do it but you take the risks and sort them out yourself.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:39 PM
p8ntballa113
Professional

What kind of speeds have you hit with the new turbo setup?

Old 03-18-2008, 07:58 PM
12 volt
Record Breaker

just because mine hasn't blown updoesn't mean you'll have the same success as me either, but if you want to try it I am not responsible I'll tell you how to do it but you take the risks and sort them out yourself.
key words

Old 03-18-2008, 08:41 PM
Slashwannabe

ORIGINAL: p8ntballa113

What kind of speeds have you hit with the new turbo setup?
Well yesterday I maxed it out without really trying, I passed a Mustang on the highwaytryin to cut in front of me so I engaged the kickdown at 65mph and pretty much instantly I hit 100mph and then once I seen I was at 100mph so easily I went for the rev limiter, that was the first time since I threw it on wednesday that I went over 70mph, but man that Stang was pissin me off and I got my road rage problem back.

Put it this way3rd gear on my Automaticgoing up to 118mph feels like the thrust offirst gear at 45mph with the stock SOHC. It pretty much feels like your on a swing set and having the Incredible Hulk push you.I remember the days of sitting at 110mph and waiting for 118mph, don't get me wrong if I went from a dead stop without letting off the gas in original form it got to 110mph quick but with the turbo you can be at 100mph and slightly move your foot and feel the car gain speed and you feel totally in control of how fast it gets to the limiter. The guy I got my turbo from was running 16psi on his stock Neon motor (needless to say his motor lasted only 2 months) he claims that with the turbo he sold me his Neon choked a bit at 118mph and then ignored the limiter and he got to 125mph.

When I figure out whats wrong with my speedometer I will cam it with my phone the ease of getting up to 100mph. When I hear the fuel getting cut to my motor I stop accelerating so I didn't care to try to prove his story with my daily driver Neon.

As for the power,It deffinitly feels like your being pushed, the power is amazing on the highend and everywhere else for that matter. I did have a little fun today with a New GenerationEclipse, I threw the automatic in first gear and let the Motor rev down beside him without using the gas just to let him hear I was in the race mood and at the next set of lights I totally ripped his car a new *** hole. We were side by side right away cuz we were both burning out then around 25mph my car had enough of the Eclipse being along side of itand the Turbokicked on the nitrous and I was gone. This guy was cool he gave me thumbs up and I gave him thumbs up cuz he had his Eclipse looking real nice and was a good sport.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:58 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

Why does everyone hate on you? I like your setup. You even beat on it for 5 months with no problems. I got timing belt slap after a few days. Maybe we should race. I think I could beat you[8D].

Old 03-18-2008, 10:07 PM
dtjackten
2nd gen neon peace keeper

i will race both of u on a bike.... u will win, just becuase my car is on four ramps right now....

Old 03-19-2008, 10:16 AM
p8ntballa113
Professional

The best i've done with my neon is about 117mph with two people and a few things int he back seat. Off a slight downhill... My car is really slow acceleration from about 95mph on... Sounds like that turbo gives you a little more pedal once you get up to that 100mph range.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:22 AM
p8ntballa113
Professional

Go to youtube and search for "1996 dodge neon speed test" Video i took one time when i was driving. Does anyone else have there acceleration stop at 5500 rpm in 4th gear. Thrid gear seems to be the most powerful for me. Watch my video and you will see what i mean. My foot is to the floor and i get stuck around 100mph in 4th at 5500 rpm.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:31 AM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

Oh wow. Whats wrong with ur neon? I started it ran and took a pee and you just hit a 100 when I got back.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:34 AM
Slashwannabe

ORIGINAL: I_Ride_Neon

Why does everyone hate on you? I like your setup. You even beat on it for 5 months with no problems.
I thinkthey hate on me because I did something they said wasn't possible, turbo a Neon on the Stock Fuel system. Don't think for a minute I sat there while I had this turbo on and didn't beat it, I beatit alot and hard all though I don't beat it as much as I beat it when it was NA cuz I dont need to, its got power ready to be unleashed at any second.

I have a brand new timing belt,water pump and radiator so hopefully I wont havebelt slap or overheating anytime soon...lol. I can't imagine running the Turbo with a bad radiator and water pumplike I had 5 months ago, I just changed the radiator last month after it sprung a leak after rear brakes locked up.

I don't like racing Brother Mopars, but I do like to race Riced out Neons with the Big wings on the back, I would waste them without the turbo just because that wing weighs 500lbs. Feels much more gratifying to put the smack down on a Chevy or Ford, but the best kill is a Riced out Civic orJapanese carhands down, I hold the Japanese cars as the highest throphy kill just because the people who drive them think they are all it.

I'd race another Turbo Neon 5 speedand I think I'd have a great shot cuz my Turbo would be under 7-8 psi ofboost the way due to the long *** gears inmy Automatic.

Quick Reply: Finally! Turbo Pics of my "Complete" setup!