1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Intake Air Temperature Test To End All Arguments

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 02:23 PM
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake Air Temperature Test To End All Arguments

I saw a post a while back where someone was bashed for putting there air filter under the battery tray because "its right between the radiator and hot @$$ transmission"

Well to end all arguments i did a test today.

I tested temperatures over the course of a 15 minute drive in 2 cars. Ambient air temperature was 65 degrees.

Car 1 96 SOHC 5 SPD Neon - temperature gauge placed in factory airbox with factory duct

135 degrees after 15 minutes at average speed of 35 mph

Car 2 96 SOHC 5 SPD Neon - temperature gauges placed in near location of K&N hot air intake, and temperature sensor placed underneath battery tray in typical cai location

K&N temperatue reading - 160 degrees after following car 1 for the same time period

CAI temperature reading- 90 degrees after following car 1 for the same time period

both cars have custom cai's under the battery (car one did had its cai removed and replace with the factory airbox for this test to make it legit), the weatherstrip at the back of the hood removed, pacesetter headers, the ac and power steering removed, and a 180 degree thermostat

interesting note

in a idle test, for 5 minutes of continous idling after warmed up, the sensor in the completely stock intake read 147 degrees, the sensor for the K&N placement read 176, and the cai placement sensor read 92

this shows that the cai air temp stays relatively stable, where the other 2 raise significant amounts in stop and go traffic situations

also remember the engine runs cooler then yours might do to the weatherstrip being removed, the low temp thermostat, and because of the removal of the ac/ps (less mass in the engine compartment to maintain ambient underhood temps)

will do a freeway test in the coming week

Old 03-25-2008, 06:25 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker
Default RE: Intake Air Temperature Test To End All Arguments

Nice

Old 03-25-2008, 06:35 PM
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL
Professional

ya, i figured since everyone always argued about intake placement, id do some tests to end the arguments. this friday/saturday ill do the freeway tests and post the results

Old 03-25-2008, 06:53 PM
mulletman11
All Star

wow, cool but kinda confusing?
so what are you saying is the best intake (ftermarket/stock) and best placement(stock air box/under battery tray, behind
fog light)

Old 03-25-2008, 09:11 PM
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL
Professional

best place would be under the battery tray, that had the coldest air, your air filter might get dirtier faster, but not anymore then if you had an open element filter at the back of the engine compartment.

and as for sucking water up, you dont need to run it an inch off the ground to get an improvement, even right under the tray, you'll get colder air then any place in the back of the engine compartment, and its unlikely that your take in water if your right under the battery tray, cause your wheels throw water back, so unless your tailgating a semi truck you'll be fine

keep in mind the splash from a puddle can soak a open element filter by the back of the engine compartment

Old 03-26-2008, 12:26 AM
12 volt
Record Breaker

how did you take the temps?

Old 03-26-2008, 10:29 AM
Spawne32
Professional

so how does it affect performance :rofl:

Old 03-26-2008, 10:47 AM
JackMehoffer69

ORIGINAL: TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL
cause your wheels throw water back, so unless your tailgating a semi truck you'll be fine

keep in mind the splash from a puddle can soak a open element filter by the back of the engine compartment
I must say I have gone through a few floods in Texasand not by choice either and I used have the Cold Air Intake mountedunder the battery tray and while going through the floodmy motor instantly shut down and when the storm cleared I had to get a tow and I instantly flushed the motor with diesel fuel when I got home and changed the oil, you wouldn't believe the amount of water you can suck up in just a quick spirt. I have since used the "warm intake" and just kept my air cleaners clean so I don't lose performance. That 3hp you lose is worth having a better chance of not sucking up water. Alot of Neon guys like to lower their cars and an air intake right under the battery is a vacuum cleaner and a straw, I know I've had them been there done that.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:24 AM
uta_flyinghigh

How about a setup where the filter is there :
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...engineuh_6.jpg
UTA

Old 03-26-2008, 11:36 AM
fsu182
Captain