1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

49-52MM throttle body question

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 12:45 AM
ryleynoyes
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 49-52MM throttle body question

as for the less air flow at low end, it's assumed at WOT, below WOT, anything before the TB doesn't really matter too much (at least at "normal" rpms) and after the tb, everything is wide open all the time except valves, and that is always the same (without changing cams or other parts, the valves lift the same amount, the piston moves the same amount, etc.)

so the bigger tb will give you better high end power, a little bit worse low end, and (unless you change the cable cam), a more difficult NORMAL launch (as in, normal driving, not racing)

racing, doesn't really matter which cable cam, altho i've read on a couple racer forums that a slower opening throttle is better (for road racing or non drag racing) because it's easier to control, as the pedal isn't as touchy, which means you aren't going to over power your traction on accident

Old 03-30-2008, 12:51 AM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: ryleynoyes

as for the less air flow at low end, it's assumed at WOT, below WOT, anything before the TB doesn't really matter too much (at least at "normal" rpms) and after the tb, everything is wide open all the time except valves, and that is always the same (without changing cams or other parts, the valves lift the same amount, the piston moves the same amount, etc.)

so the bigger tb will give you better high end power, a little bit worse low end, and (unless you change the cable cam), a more difficult NORMAL launch (as in, normal driving, not racing)

racing, doesn't really matter which cable cam, altho i've read on a couple racer forums that a slower opening throttle is better (for road racing or non drag racing) because it's easier to control, as the pedal isn't as touchy, which means you aren't going to over power your traction on accident
god you got me confuessed... put this in lay-mans terms for me...

Old 03-30-2008, 01:33 AM
fsu182
Captain

all i have to say is I left that flimsy spring on the atx tb. i swapped the shaft to keep my cruise and thats it. i find it just easier to control my car with the soft atx spring. i dont overpower my traction because i know what the car is going to do. at first it may seem harder to control - but you just have to learn the car's new characteristics.

the only way swapping tb's should have hurt top end is if:

1. you are wrong, which no one is saying you are. lol
2. that tb is somehow actually restricting airflow.

honestly id just try to get a different tb again. i know its not what you wanna hear, but thats what i would do. this just doesnt make any sense. lol.

Old 03-30-2008, 01:40 AM
ryleynoyes
Veteran

95to96, here's your layman's terms
small pipe will make air have speed at low rpms, and air speed makes more power, while it will choke the airflow at high rpms, limiting the high end power

big pipe will sacrifice air speed, which makes less low end power as the air flow will be turbulent and kind of stall out, but being able to flow more total air makes more high end power

Old 03-30-2008, 01:43 AM
ryleynoyes
Veteran

in response to fsu, and for (crap, i can't remember who started the thread, lol!) i have an extra ATX TB i believe...

Old 03-30-2008, 01:51 AM
fsu182
Captain

if u can post a picture from down inside that tb with the butterfly open. that way we can verify its an atx tb and that its not clogged up.maybe u broke the manifold somehow (so very unlikely though.)

...swapped to an larger tb and lost top end power. i just cant get my head around it.

Old 03-30-2008, 03:00 AM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker

get a good shot of where the idel control valve sits too... from the bottom...

Old 03-30-2008, 09:46 AM
johnMZ24
Rookie

i looked at the idle control that has nuttin ta do with it cuz it still idles exactly the same as is has be with the mtx tb. All im sayin is iv heard from neons . org page that i have to change sum stuff but i didnt think i had to, and iv even changed tps sensors and stuff ta see if itll work, i lost top end but i should have been gaining it lol

Old 03-30-2008, 09:49 AM
johnMZ24
Rookie

oh and if anyone wants an atx tb i can get them for cheap to, il clean them and keep the sensors also if ud like, alone with painted valve covers which il have a pic of them soon so you guys can see.. 25 for throttle bodys if ur interested

Old 03-30-2008, 10:18 AM
fsu182
Captain

yeah, like i said i kept all the sensors in the atx tb, just plugged it right in to my car and bam - instant results.

Quick Reply: 49-52MM throttle body question