1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Dohc swap info

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 12:00 AM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dohc swap info

Well I picked up the dohc that ol skool was selling. My first dohc neon engine ever. I get there and he is like "I got another if you want it free for buying this one. It has a bad bottom end". I said hell yea. First off. How much boost can I run safely on a sohc bottom and dohc top? Where can I find a safe thicker head gasket to lower the compression more? I notice the the oil pan is different. Should i use the oil pan off the dohc? It has fins on it. Is it worth using a sohc to dohc turbo mani conversion thing or should i just go get a dohc mani? One more thing. This may sound like I am stupid. WHat makes a dohc red line higher then a sohc? Is it just the rev limiter or can a dohc engine go higher because of the dual cams?

Old 03-30-2008, 12:16 AM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker
Default RE: Dohc swap info

Your just going to be safer from detonation by running that head block combo... you may be able to turn it up a hair but i would honestly leave it 7-8 so you have the extra insurance from a lower compression ratio... dont lower it more... use the dohc oil pan... imho its designed better for oil pick up... the red line is higher due to the higher compression and the ablity of the dohc head to breath better...

get a dohc turbo manifold or just get the srt-turbofold... it bolts straight up, plus you can shut it off... if you want due to the manifolds design...

Old 03-30-2008, 12:20 AM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

So sohc on a dohc the redline will be 7.2? What if I used sohc on the dohc for high compression. are you saying my redline would be higher because the compression would be higher. I have been running 10 psi all day in the neon. Will my garret bolt up? Or do i need to use the srt4 turbo also?

Old 03-30-2008, 12:33 AM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker

no the srt turbofold is one part... only the srt turbo will fit on its a single unit and odd if you really look at it...

and the pcm controlls the rev limiter... so if you put a dohc on there you will get the 7200rpm limiter... if you use a sohc you will get the 6500

Old 03-30-2008, 12:40 AM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

So I can safely red line it with the 7.2 limiter without blowing it up? With the dohc head.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:46 AM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker

yeah... with the dohc head... you will be making power up there...

Old 03-30-2008, 01:05 AM
ryleynoyes
Veteran

yes, you can go to 7200 (7250 actually i believe)

but don't hang up there and bounce it off the rev limiter, or rev up there too much if you haven't upgraded the valve springs to prevent valve float

valve float (if bad enough) WILL destroy the engine, as the dodge 2.0 is an "interference" engine, meaning the pistons will make contact with the valves if the timing belt breaks (or other reason that the valves are open when they shouldn't be)

Old 03-30-2008, 01:10 AM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

Cool thanks. I always wanted to know what life over the 7k mark is like.

Quick Reply: Dohc swap info