1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Best Coilovers For Price

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 04:43 PM
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Coilovers For Price

Im looking to put some coilovers on my 96, along with a set of eibach sways and prothane bushings, my question is, whats the best route? Keep in mind this is just a budget setup to race some local autocross, and still drive around town some. Lowering springs are out of the question, as my car has gained 3/4 to 7/8 an inch in ground clearance from weight reductions

I can get a set of ground control coil overs with konis for 1040, is there a better option or will that route work best, id kind of like to use konis cause once i build my full race suspension this setup will go on my DD neon

Old 03-29-2008, 05:05 PM
12 volt
Record Breaker
Default RE: Best Coilovers For Price

i was thinking about getting some of these
http://www.ground-control-store.com/...p/II=564/CA=26

no idea how they handle, but they are from a reputable company.

Old 03-29-2008, 09:43 PM
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL
Professional

those are the exact ones i was looking at getting, i was hoping someone had some experience with them,i figured since they send springs for your application, not just based on assuming your car is stock, that the springs would be better matched, cause if i got a set of race coilovers for a stock weight, it would be crazy stiff in a 2000 pound neon

i guess really as long i put them on good shocks and they have good springs, thats all that matters

Old 03-29-2008, 10:00 PM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker

just out of couriousity why are you apposed to using lowering springs???

Old 03-30-2008, 12:21 AM
ryleynoyes
Veteran

i think i get what he's thinking, that lowered springs would have to be stiffer for being lower, and since his car is lightened, that the lowering springs would be too stiff

i'm guessing tho

i don't get the part about his gaining ground clearance, tho, as since he gained that clearance, shouldn't he want to get rid of it again...?
i would

Old 03-30-2008, 12:23 AM
ryleynoyes
Veteran

or check these out
http://www.d2racing.com/

i haven't seen anyone with them, but that's what i was going to get before i got spud's koni's and hi rate mopars

Old 03-30-2008, 12:29 AM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker

a good set of progressive springs will lower it and keep the car nice riding and give you the extra spring rate in tight corners...

Old 03-30-2008, 01:35 AM
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL
Professional

Im mostly opposed to using lowering springs because unless i get something really soft, its not really going to lower my car much, just get it back to stock height, im actually looking to lower it about an inch from stock, which will require stiff springs to keep it off the bump stops, and in order to get it to an inch lower then stock, i would need to lose 1-7/8 inch from where im at now, which wont happen with the off the shelf lowering springs

as is, my car sits much higher then stock, the front end gained 3/4 an inch over stock, and the back gained 7/8 an inch over stock

the car currently weighs 2000 pounds, with side windows and climate control (no ac) still installed, i bought this car specifically to race E Modified SCCA Solo, it is currently my daily driver only because my 97 atx, the trannys pretty much destroyed from the previous owners lack of maintenance (previous owner was the state of california), i am looking for a mtx to put in the 97 to use as my daily driver, so on my 96 comfort isnt really a factor, im looking for the most performance i can get untill the complete suspension system is worked over including custom cnc'd control arms and such

i need to use coilovers so i can level the front to back, and so i can adjust corner weights, i cant do that with lowering springs

mods so far are, pacesetter header(best california smog legal header), glasspack, Iceman, boogers, prothane motor mount inserts, mopar performance motor mounts, fidanza aluminum flywheel and kevlar clutch, quaife lsd, unorthodox racing alternator only pulley, and a completely gutted interrior and no ac/ps(its not that bad to steer at 2000 pounds)
soon to have poly suspension bushings and eibach sways, along with a decent coilover conversion kit

future plans are to put all the parts with exeption of the quaife onto my 97, including the suspension, and have ground control build me a set of custom coilovers for the 96, in addition to using steering knuckles off of a pt cruiser (for the larger brakes and hubs), the steering rack off a shadow sport (14 to 1), ported magnum head, (plan on seeing if AMM will port the head and build a custom intake and turbo mani for a 16g)along with a full cage

This will be started in the next year and a half, so i need a decent coilover conversionfor right now, that can later be nice on a DD

Quick Reply: Best Coilovers For Price