1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

MPx Rebuild Kits

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 04:23 PM
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: MPx Rebuild Kits

I have a question as well, im looking to rebuild my DD and convert it from a atx to mtx for the gas mileage.

My question is, with 10.5 to1 pistonsim probably going to have to run 91 octane correct? If not, does anyone know how much of a diff 10.5:1 and the crane 10 cam make in emissions? I live in california, id like to buy the MPX kit to simplify things, but if it wont pass smog on that setup ill have to find all the parts seperatly.

( since not a lot of people on here are from ca, just a heads up on our smog check : none of the aftermarket computers for the neon are legal here, none of the turbo kits are legal here, none of the cams are "technically" legal, although if it passed the sniffer test no one would know it was in there, the kirk header is not legal as its illegal here to move the placement of the cat, the iceman intake is the only legal true cai (the 3.0 version will get me a ticket), and our sniffer test is at a load, or more specifically at 15 mph in 2nd and in 25 in 3rd

Old 04-08-2008, 04:29 PM
ryleynoyes
Veteran

not completely true
mopar performance computers are legal
i know this for fact, my friend moved to cali, passed full emissions after getting a new cat (his went out) and then moved back shortly after, haha, sucks huh? 35 mpg pulling a trailer, and he got labeled a gross polluter on a pre smog

Old 04-08-2008, 09:05 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL

I have a question as well, im looking to rebuild my DD and convert it from a atx to mtx for the gas mileage.

My question is, with 10.5 to1 pistonsim probably going to have to run 91 octane correct? If not, does anyone know how much of a diff 10.5:1 and the crane 10 cam make in emissions? I live in california, id like to buy the MPX kit to simplify things, but if it wont pass smog on that setup ill have to find all the parts seperatly.

( since not a lot of people on here are from ca, just a heads up on our smog check : none of the aftermarket computers for the neon are legal here, none of the turbo kits are legal here, none of the cams are "technically" legal, although if it passed the sniffer test no one would know it was in there, the kirk header is not legal as its illegal here to move the placement of the cat, the iceman intake is the only legal true cai (the 3.0 version will get me a ticket), and our sniffer test is at a load, or more specifically at 15 mph in 2nd and in 25 in 3rd

You would most likely get some pinging if you didnt run at least 89, but 91 would most likely be the best IMO. The crane #10 is not really much different than a stock cam, so count on going with at least #12's for a power gain, but if you are going all motor than 16's would work the best.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:39 PM
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL
Professional

im actually looking for best gas mileage out of this car, i have another neon thats strictly for racing

anything higher then a 10 will most definately not pass smog here

ryley, the one reason he passed smog would beif the car was not sold in california, if it was sold in california it wont pass with the mopar computer. in california when you buy the mopar computer from a dealer they make you sign a waiver acknowledging that you understand that the computer will fail a smog check. cars with the tlev engines (californias low emissions engine) have a different code in the computer, cause the smog checks are now all done will hooked to the computer, you cant just "take it to a guy i know" anymore, cause the computer wont lie for you

Old 04-08-2008, 11:46 PM
ryleynoyes
Veteran

i'll give you that he got the car outside of california, but his car passed full emissions, hooked to the computer, everything.

he did a presmog and found out his aftermarket cat went out on him, so he went back to a stock cat, but everything else was still full power tuned

this guy ran a 14.6 all motor, 14.0 with nitrous, and that's before he knew how to use his lsd

keep in mind, this is his ONLY car, daily driver, long trips, everything.

and it got 34/35 mpg while pulling a (small) trailer at 70

Quick Reply: MPx Rebuild Kits