1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

what would you do next?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 12:34 AM
lblackneon
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: what would you do next?

I meant to add the fact that you can just RAISE the engine to get to the cam. I don't know how u would raise it though. What do you raise the engine with? You also made the job sound easy; is it really that easy?

I've asked Modern Performance and Howell Automotive what I should do first. Both of them recommended to put a computer in before a cam.

Also, when you get a cam they recommend u get performance valve springs with it. Valve springs cost around $130. Valve s. with titanium retainers cost like 250. They only recommend titanium retainers when you are putting out crazy amounts of power out of your engine. The cam 10 and 12 cost like 250 and cam 14 cost like 300.
Basically 300 sounds a little cheap (depending on what you want. You might want to add valve springs). If u can't do the job yourself you know to add labor to the price too.
[&:]

Old 01-07-2005, 12:50 AM
Cr@zy Squ33

Take a block of wood and put it on a floor jack then put the jack under the oil pan and jack it up.

Well, its a little more involved than that but yes, its pretty easy to do. You are going to have to pull the valve cover the cam caps things like that but it's pretty simple to do.

And yes, a PCM is recommended before the cam. Usually, but it is your money and you spend it how you want.

You should always do high performance valve springs. You'll most likely never need to do retainers since all they do is hold the springs on. Retainers never really go bad so there really is never a need to change them.

Crane 10 is basically a stock cam and would be a waste of money. A Crane 12 is a good mild forced induction cam and a Crane 14 is a good N/A or forced induction cam.

The other option you have for cams is the 2001 Magnum cam. Its a little more aggresive than the Crane 12 at higher RPMs but at low RPMs its fairly mellow. The 2001 Magnum cam is also another good forced induction cam.

I currently have a 2001 Magnum cam. If you are looking for the Mag cam be prepared to pay for it becuase they are rare and expensive. After 2001 DCx changed the aggresivness of the cam much like they did with the 1995 SOHC cam.

Old 01-07-2005, 04:31 PM
lblackneon
Champion

How much would the Mag. cam cost and where could u find those?

Old 01-07-2005, 09:26 PM
Cr@zy Squ33

About $300 and you oculd try the dealer. But you are going to have to be specific and ask for the 2001 cam. Other than that, I don't know.