1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Laser Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 11:02 PM
JackMehoffer69
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Laser Turbo?

mines not leagal for emissions, I got rid of my cat for faster spooling. I'm selling it right now. With a cat it might have passed emissions since I had stock fuel profiles.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:37 PM
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL
Professional

It wouldnt be legal in ca even with a cat

in ca, every single performance part that messes with the intake, exhuast or engine in general, has to have a CARB Exemption. To get a carb exemption you have to pay a rediculous amount, something like $10,000 to $25,000 plus send 2 of each part you want exempted, to the California air resources board for testing, for every single different part you want to sell for every different engine it is to go on

for example, if hahn wanted to make there first gen stage one and stage 2 kits legal here, they would have to send in 8 turbos, 2 of each stage for each engine (SOHC and DOHC), plus $25,000 for each turbo kit. I had a long discussion about this with the hahn tech people, because i was trying to finda way around that rule. They assuered me that it could actually pass the sniffer test here, that they just didnt think that they could make there money back for that much of an expense.

They did tell me that they sold one to a guy here who would take it off before every smog test, until he got pulled over and caught, he got a large large ticket, and his car was reclassified as a gross polluter and his registration was doubled.

ill let everyone know how my trip to the dmv goes tomorrow reguarding this

Old 06-19-2008, 12:54 AM
JackMehoffer69

ORIGINAL: TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL

It wouldnt be legal in ca even with a cat

in ca, every single performance part that messes with the intake, exhuast or engine in general, has to have a CARB Exemption. To get a carb exemption you have to pay a rediculous amount, something like $10,000 to $25,000 plus send 2 of each part you want exempted, to the California air resources board for testing, for every single different part you want to sell for every different engine it is to go on

for example, if hahn wanted to make there first gen stage one and stage 2 kits legal here, they would have to send in 8 turbos, 2 of each stage for each engine (SOHC and DOHC), plus $25,000 for each turbo kit. I had a long discussion about this with the hahn tech people, because i was trying to finda way around that rule. They assuered me that it could actually pass the sniffer test here, that they just didnt think that they could make there money back for that much of an expense.

They did tell me that they sold one to a guy here who would take it off before every smog test, until he got pulled over and caught, he got a large large ticket, and his car was reclassified as a gross polluter and his registration was doubled.

ill let everyone know how my trip to the dmv goes tomorrow reguarding this
When my rings went out on my old sohc motor I smoked up a parking lot section of smoke at each stop light they would have had a field day with me.

Old 06-19-2008, 01:11 AM
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL
Professional

ya its just calis way of making money off people, its dumb cause the turbo doesnt eliminate any smog equipment and would pass the sniffers, they just want extra money

heres how dumb the carb board is, when MSD came out with there coils, they were considered by the state to be a performance product and therefore had to be carb certified

in california you have to put that little sticker that the coil comes with under the hood or be fined

Old 06-19-2008, 02:16 PM
Captansavaho
Captain

i live in san jose so your not to far away...and dude if you do get land let me know i ride...so i would love to come out and help you...

Old 06-19-2008, 03:37 PM
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL
Professional

for sure, will do, me and my gf are looking at next july, it gives us time to get bills paid and raise our credit scores, there not bad right now, but every bit helps, especially since i just moved upto fres with herand depleted my funds getting my DD ready for the tranny swap

Quick Reply: Laser Turbo?