1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Getting rid of my Neon

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 11:21 PM
GlobetrekkerYYC
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting rid of my Neon

Hey all,
Last November I got a '98 Neon basically for free from a family friend. It only has 113,000km (70,000 miles) on it so it's in very good shape. It has been an economical car for sure especially with gas prices here of $1.35/litre ($5.40US/gallon) but I just can't take driving this anymore. This is by far the weakest car I've ever driven, it would be better as a manual forsure, but it's a bloody AT and I've been driving manuals my whole life until this car. The car just simply won't go. The last strawwas yesterday when I got in a minor accident because the damn Neon wouldn't f*cking accelerate worth ****. Luckily only a smudge thanks to reaction time of the other driver. I'm sorry, I know you guys love your Neons, but this car, with the AT is a f*cking grandma car.
A manual would have been better, and perhaps my desire to change cars wouldn't be so overpowering, but... I live in a province that is filthy rich with oil money, so somebody my age should not be driving a Neon. Picking up a chick with this ride is basically impossible. It's stupid, but it's the sad reality of my location. My car was literally being laughed at the gym the other day when the brakes were sqeaking like they always do when it's wet outside.
I'm going for something German, and very soon. I'll either give the Neon to my sister, or sell it for a couple grand and add it to the downpayment on the new car. It'll make a good starter car for a teenage girl or something. But it's just not for me.
I'll let you guys know how much I get for it if I sell. Mechanically the car is flawless. So I can't complain about that.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:30 PM
JackMehoffer69
Default RE: Getting rid of my Neon

ORIGINAL: GlobetrekkerYYC

Hey all,
Last November I got a '98 Neon basically for free from a family friend. It only has 113,000km (70,000 miles) on it so it's in very good shape. It has been an economical car for sure especially with gas prices here of $1.35/litre ($5.40US/gallon) but I just can't take driving this anymore. This is by far the weakest car I've ever driven, it would be better as a manual forsure, but it's a bloody AT and I've been driving manuals my whole life until this car. The car just simply won't go. The last strawwas yesterday when I got in a minor accident because the damn Neon wouldn't f*cking accelerate worth ****. Luckily only a smudge thanks to reaction time of the other driver. I'm sorry, I know you guys love your Neons, but this car, with the AT is a f*cking grandma car.
A manual would have been better, and perhaps my desire to change cars wouldn't be so overpowering, but... I live in a province that is filthy rich with oil money, so somebody my age should not be driving a Neon. Picking up a chick with this ride is basically impossible. It's stupid, but it's the sad reality of my location. My car was literally being laughed at the gym the other day when the brakes were sqeaking like they always do when it's wet outside.
If you want a couple grand for a atx Neongo fk yerself.

Don't blame all Neons just cuz yer ATX sux. DOHC atx's suck but sohc atx Neons aren't too bad if you have the correct tire size and air cleaner clean and not dirty. Mine will wax a Chevyqueervalier 2.4 from the stop lights.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:48 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

Yea if you keep your atcx maintained, and do the regular bolt on upgrades the car will actually be quick. I have owned 3 of them. They were all on the slow side when I got them. Some plug wires, spark plugs, and a cai they are ready to go.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:51 PM
GlobetrekkerYYC

Well, it'll sell for a couple grand up here most likely considering the low mileage. Cars are more expensive up here remember. But I don't really car how much I get for it. And smoking a Cavalier is nothing to brag about.

It's probably not the slowest ATX out there, but it's still an ATX....

Hard to go from driving manual V6's for 10 years to an ATX 4 banger. Know what I mean?

Old 06-19-2008, 11:53 PM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: JackMehoffer69

If you want a couple grand for a atx Neongo fk yerself.

Don't blame all Neons just cuz yer ATX sux. DOHC atx's suck but sohc atx Neons aren't too bad if you have the correct tire size and air cleaner clean and not dirty. Mine will wax a Chevyqueervalier 2.4 from the stop lights.
that isnt necessary....keep all of those comments to yourself

Old 06-20-2008, 10:11 AM
JackMehoffer69

ORIGINAL: GlobetrekkerYYC
And smoking a Cavalier is nothing to brag about.
a 2.4liter Cavalier is, a 2.4liter dohccavalier is faster than a 1980s camero with a 350 small blockin the Quarter Mile. My buddys atx turbo neon smoked a 14.4 second quarter mile 2006 Eclipse and 2007 Mustang V8with stock sohc atx and 7psi of boost.

go 35mph and floor that s.o.b it will kick back harder than most V6's, and it will give you a glimse of what a 5 speed Neon would be like inside the powerband.

Old 06-20-2008, 12:05 PM
neoncrazy101
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sry about your luck with your performance on your Neon man. but my red 4 door Neon (not the one in my sig) is an auto with 217,000 miles on it. now then, its no 5-speed, but it still hauls. would i pick a race with another car? hell no. why? cause it would probably break something.

Old 06-21-2008, 10:20 AM
mulletman11
All Star

ur in canada right?
do u have the 1.6 litre chrysler neon?

Old 06-21-2008, 01:11 PM
12 volt
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: mulletman11

ur in canada right?
do u have the 1.6 litre chrysler neon?
no such thing as a 1.6 neon. maybe 1.8 in the UK

Old 06-21-2008, 02:24 PM
GlobetrekkerYYC

It's a 2.0L SOHC

I'm sure if it was manual it would be like night and day. The ATX kills it. Again, it's not the slowest ATX car, but in this city everybody drives nice cars.

It's a great car economically, but I want speed and refinement. Time to go German.

Quick Reply: Getting rid of my Neon