1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

EVERYONE READ REGUARDING THE LEGALITY OF MODDING A NEON

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 05:04 PM
dualedout1stgen
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I moved out of cali about a year and a half ago and thats when all the mods starting becoming a reality for me. cals smog laws suck.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:44 PM
92dak5.24x4
Veteran

By EPA vehicle emissions laws (including CA) it is ILLEGAL to make any changes to a vehicle which will affect the emissions from the vehicle. For example we use to be able to buy spark plugs by heat range such as Champion RS12YC or RS9YC etc... now everthing is just some number like 32... which doesn't mean squat... this is to reduce the possibility of people putting in a different heat range which would potentially change tail pipe emissions. Oh yes the Gov't wants to control every aspect of our lives!!

Old 01-09-2010, 08:14 PM
Altima_wb
Captain

the reason champion and all other spark plug companies went to the number system that they did really had nothing to do with the emissions the reason they did it was cause that parts store companies... like Napa, advance etc... forced them to, to make things easier for inventory purposes... i know cause i used to sell autoparts and with the old numbers it was killer hard to keep them organized and it often led to people getting the wrong parts... any good parts store can still give you a hotter or colder plug by the old numbers... they all have books that will cross the numbers if emission was the reason they went to the new numbers you wouldn't be able to cross to the old numbers like you can.... if a parts person won't cross the numbers to help you find a different parts store cause obviously they shouldn't be selling parts...

Old 01-10-2010, 09:20 AM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

Emission laws are more important than making a car loud and less slow. Few neons are fast in my opinion. Explain that to your kids when they have to hide in caves from the sun. "Well junior, daddy was trying to get his sohc into the 14's..."

Old 01-10-2010, 09:10 PM
Captansavaho
Captain

Originally Posted by Ghost Neon 2
Emission laws are more important than making a car loud and less slow. Few neons are fast in my opinion. Explain that to your kids when they have to hide in caves from the sun. "Well junior, daddy was trying to get his sohc into the 14's..."
haha hilarious..just got back from vacation and this is the first thing i read lol

Quick Reply: EVERYONE READ REGUARDING THE LEGALITY OF MODDING A NEON