1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

soldering guage cluster

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 12:12 AM
bruno86
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default soldering guage cluster

hey guys i've been needing to resolder my guage cluster for a while now but cant find the pic of which points to solder. I know I saw it on the forum at one time or another. Anyone know where that picis. Also, how big of a pain in the *** is it to do all the resoldering? Would I maybe just be better off gettin a new cluster? If that's the case, anyone have a cluster w/ 8k tach F/S? Thanks

Old 06-26-2008, 05:53 AM
mr340
Muscle Car Moderator
Default RE: soldering guage cluster

Old 06-26-2008, 08:36 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its very easy to do...all you need to do really is melt the solder points in the circled pic and let them harden again...thats it..
i had to do it to my wifes neon and i need to do it to my own sumtime when i feel like ripping the cluster out

Old 06-26-2008, 02:24 PM
bruno86
Rookie

haha ya i'm at the same point.....just seems like a lot of hassle to pull out the guage cluster and all that. so how many solder points are there then? all of them in the two circles? just dont want to go to do this and **** it up

Old 06-26-2008, 03:07 PM
WRT

Dude, this procedure is really simple and easy. I thought that I might mess up too, but it was simple!!! You just pull up on the dash just above the instriment cluster and you can get to the cluster, there are 4 screws holding the cluster in, take out those 4 screws, and the cluster just slides out, it is just pluged in. Then there are about 8 or so screws holding the paper backing and the circuit board on take those out and you have access to the solder points!!! My cluster looked different than the photo, but the points you want to resolder are the ones that have the plug on the opposite side!!! takes about 3 min to take out, 10-15 min to take apart, resolder, and put back together. then about 5 min to put back in. You could probably have this done withing 30 min. It is well worth doing, plus it is a FREE fix!!!!!

Old 06-29-2008, 03:57 PM
devilsadvocate

ORIGINAL: WRT

Dude, this procedure is really simple and easy. I thought that I might mess up too, but it was simple!!! You just pull up on the dash just above the instriment cluster and you can get to the cluster, there are 4 screws holding the cluster in, take out those 4 screws, and the cluster just slides out, it is just pluged in. Then there are about 8 or so screws holding the paper backing and the circuit board on take those out and you have access to the solder points!!! My cluster looked different than the photo, but the points you want to resolder are the ones that have the plug on the opposite side!!! takes about 3 min to take out, 10-15 min to take apart, resolder, and put back together. then about 5 min to put back in. You could probably have this done withing 30 min. It is well worth doing, plus it is a FREE fix!!!!!
did your gauge cluster look like this?
http://s229.photobucket.com/albums/e...t=DSC00601.jpg

Old 06-30-2008, 09:12 AM
das2123
Legend

^^^ Thats what it looks like before you take off what is needed to access the circuit board.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:17 AM
devilsadvocate

my bad.........yeah i realized that 10 seconds after i posted.
anyway , i did the solder repair yesterday and it works great now. in fact , i re-soldered all the gauge pins (4 per gauge) just to be sure.
todays project = e-test

Old 06-30-2008, 06:34 PM
DOHCgarrett t3
Record Breaker

I had to add solder to mine when I solderd them in my wifes car. still an easy fix though I had to tear it apart twice.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:46 PM
das2123
Legend

I have added solder once and it worked great afterwards.

Quick Reply: soldering guage cluster