1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

WTF

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 10:25 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTF

So today after installing the tach I got from mulletman I started having car problems. Loss of power, die at lights on the highway and not wanting to start. Really weak and took alot of cranks to start. But I turned around and went home. After my b-day party me and some buddys Started it up. First off I had a code 44? and it was for the air intake temp sensor. I changed that out. It stayed off. Then I was hearing a horrible knocking noise from the engine. I shut the car off. But I figured its to late now. Start it and find out where it was coming from. Friends said bearings but it sounded like a really bad rocker arm. I pulled the valve gasket cover to find 3 lobes and the plastic clips were gone on the intake side only. I only found 2 in the head :-(. What the hell would cause that??? Now 3 tops of the valves have intends in them where the arm without the lobe was hitting. I have a spare set here and put them on. ANd they are loud also. I checked them out and you are able to pull in and out on the lobes. They move? I dont know if its supost to do that? ANy help on this would be great!

Old 06-27-2008, 07:41 AM
mulletman11
All Star
Default RE: WTF

lglad u got the tach, happy bday, and sorry that ur neon is acting all fkd up

Old 06-27-2008, 01:03 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

CHanged off the rocker arms with even another pair. Still loud as hell. So I was looking at the valves. The springs look like they are just about touching the head on the same side the lobes came off (intake side). Compared to my spare head. Do I have bent valves? How the heck did that happen?

Old 06-27-2008, 02:22 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

Here is pics. Please help. Notice how some of the springs seems to be touching the head wall?

Old 06-27-2008, 08:57 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

Now I have a loose bearing on #2. It kind of moves down when you push on it during the intake stroke. What the heck is going on? Someone help please... I have been spending all my time on this thing. I am done sinking money into it. If no one can tell me why this happened I am parting the car out.. If anyone wants to call dibs on anything, now would be a good time.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:29 PM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker

Sorry still on vacation and still can't get on as much as I would like...

Looks like you have bent valves to be honest with you they shouldent be "bent" over like that... theres no possable way they could move over that far unless they were bent. the valve guide's cant warp that much and the spring is centered on the retainer...how it happened idk to be honest with you... but thats what it looks like...