1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

performance talk

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 03:57 PM
fsu182
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default performance talk

how are you guys going about modding your cars? im a couple grand in with engine work and parts now and im just wondering how much you can do with what. just some neon specific general discussion.

i have a lot of bolt ons. engine wise its

a fresh (1,800 miles) engine with
custom cai
atx tb
some dremel work to the manifold and intake ports
mopar perf. pcm
93 octane always
.020" larger pistons
.005" decked block
mpx udp
heddman header
and nothing else on the exhaust other than a resonator. no cat. no muffler.

Old 07-21-2008, 03:59 PM
fsu182
Captain
Default RE: performance talk

my main nemesis in this town is a civic with an h22 prelude 2.2 vtech dohc swap. i dont think i could take that car based on the numbers alone. right now what you estimate my dohc is putting to the wheels? id geuss around 130 - 140 whp. since it isnt breathing much better than stock.

Old 07-21-2008, 04:58 PM
dtjackten
2nd gen neon peace keeper

well, when i started modding my 02 i made a decition that helped me save alot of time and money.... N/A or forced induction? saved me alot of money just because i was not going to buy a header just to turn around and buy a turbo manifold.... (just one example) i would have to say 135ish whp sounds right also

Old 07-21-2008, 05:18 PM
brushedchrome
Professional

Dude, I dont know about power, but with my weak setup, see the attached list of goodies, I cannot for the life of me hook up when the pavement is just a little bit wet. It wont hook up till over third gear with rpms in the upper 3,000 range. I have as of yet to find another 4cyl to rival my setup. There was a Mitsubishi something or other, rather new looking with a sports exhaust of some sort, at a stop light around 11:30 pm the other night and I totally blew that thing away. Thats with stock intake and throttle body. Just the underdrive pully, Kirk long header, MP PCM, and fart can muffler. Its no joke. I cant wait untill I get the semi solid bobble strut and larger throttle body to round the setup out. That, and a little porting to allow the larger throttle body to actually breathe.

Old 07-21-2008, 07:18 PM
stealthneon420

ORIGINAL: brushedchrome

Dude, I dont know about power, but with my weak setup, see the attached list of goodies, I cannot for the life of me hook up when the pavement is just a little bit wet. It wont hook up till over third gear with rpms in the upper 3,000 range. I have as of yet to find another 4cyl to rival my setup. There was a Mitsubishi something or other, rather new looking with a sports exhaust of some sort, at a stop light around 11:30 pm the other night and I totally blew that thing away. Thats with stock intake and throttle body. Just the underdrive pully, Kirk long header, MP PCM, and fart can muffler. Its no joke. I cant wait untill I get the semi solid bobble strut and larger throttle body to round the setup out. That, and a little porting to allow the larger throttle body to actually breathe.

Lol, if the pavement is wet at all you should be able to burn them atleast till 4th. Wet pavment is no contest for how fast your car is. My geo metro 3 cylinder stock roasted them till 3rd on dry. All day. . Neons are quick cars. I just got home riding around in a atx turbo we just finished. Thats something to talk about. 40-50 mph spinning the tires in a 3 speed.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:12 PM
brushedchrome
Professional

Well, yeah!!! If I didnt let up, there was no way that I was going to hook up enough to get any traction. Now are you talking spinning the tires 40-50 after getting up to about 35, or are you talking about spinning them that fast off of the line? And on dry pavement? Mine must have the taller first gear because it doesnt like to really smoke them off of the line when the pavement is dry. More of the get rolling about 15 and it really comes to life and burn them out of second gear into 3rd. How much did your Metro weigh?

Old 07-21-2008, 08:22 PM
stealthneon420

I had the tall gears on my sohc turbo and I had such bad tire spin I started to take off in 2nd gear instead of 1st. In my stock sohc 5 speed with just some bolt on I could hit down the gas in first and the would break loose and not grip until the 3rd gear chirp. I spent alot of money on tires. Now I am all about getting the power to stick to the ground.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:22 PM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

Weren't you going for boost? Either way, you need headwork and cams. The really should be the first mod, not the last.

Old 07-22-2008, 02:45 PM
fsu182
Captain

i decided i dont have the time or patience to tune a turbo on something i have to drive every day. i don't think im going to put any more into this 2.0

im gonna try and find a 2.4 block to start building another n/a engine with some more thump. now that i know what im doing. at this point it doesnt makea lot of sense to try to squeeze more torque out of my 2.0 when the 2.4 has it there and ready. since my engine already has some 2.4 ready bolt ons - i think thats the way to go. get a block and build it in my sisters new garage.

Old 07-22-2008, 04:20 PM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

Less top end with a 2.4. Still need headwork and cams to carry any power past 6k

Quick Reply: performance talk